Widescreen graphics on SD moniters/resolutions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Widescreen graphics on SD moniters/resolutions

#1 Post by Gear »

Hypothetically, if you create a game in a widescreen format, and someone with a Standard Def monitor that only does 4:3 plays your game in Fullscreen mode, how does Ren'Py handle it? Do the sides get cut off, is it squeezed to fit, or do you get the black bars on top and bottom like watching a widescreen movie back in the old days (lol)?
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Saphrot
Projects: Mimik, 30 Days

Re: Widescreen graphics on SD moniters/resolutions

#2 Post by Saphrot »

I just tested it by setting the window to 1800x600.
The resolution, 3:1, was kept in fullscreen and black bars filled the space at the top and bottom.
I hope this was helpful.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#3 Post by Gear »

It was, thank you. I now have new direction in life in my project.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py does the same thing if you rescale the window to a different aspect ratio - it will put in black bars as appropriate.

One feature I've had penciled in forever now is the ability to specify up to three window sizes - the minimum displayable area, the maximum displayable area, and the default window size. The idea being that you would lay out your game using the maximum displayable area, but be careful to ensure everything important was inside the minimum displayable area, and then Ren'Py would only display bars if something was outside the maximum size.

But I'm not sure how relevant this is, anymore - now that everything is widescreen except iPads and some phones.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom