Indication around where the mouse was clicked

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
deltazechs

Indication around where the mouse was clicked

#1 Post by deltazechs »

Hi, I think this might be impossible to do in Renpy, but I will just ask anyway in case I assume wrong....

Okay, I am trying to imitate the "click to present contradiction in photo" scene from ace attorney games. What happens is that after the player clicks on a certain spot in the picture, a small box-like indicator appears around that spot and flashes for a few seconds, indicating that's where the player clicked with the mouse.

Now, I understand that we have image maps and hotspots, but unfortunately, it's impossible to imitate that effect since there are just too many possible spots that the player can click on the screen. Now, if there is a way to retrieve the exact coordinates of where the player clicked, then I can use those numbers to position the box-like indicator around the origin in which the mouse was clicked, thus generating that visual effect I wish to present as stated above.

So, I suppose my question is, is it possible to accomplish this? Can I retrieve the coordinates upon which the player had clicked on?

Thanks in advance.
"Darker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself. That is coffee." --- Godot, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Indication around where the mouse was clicked

#2 Post by PyTom »

You could do it with a creator-defined displayable, if you had to. Those are given the raw pygame events, and then you can use them to position the box.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom