I have a question about a possible bug

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition
Organization: None

I have a question about a possible bug

#1 Post by Daggett »

I have this one bg image in my game that shows up in one place, but the next time I type out "scene bg back pt1" it comes up as an "Undefined Image". I have it with the rest of the images, IE, image bg back pt1 = "back pt1.png". And it's in my "Game Directory" too. Has this happened to anyone else?

I am also using this* code before it and it even starts fading into the image and then stops with the "Undefined Image" screen.

If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

init:
$ dissolve = Dissolve(0.5)

with None
scene bg black
with dissolve

init:

with None
scene bg back pt1
with dissolve

Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition

Re: I have a question about a possible bug

#2 Post by Daggett »

It's been a while... This post is just to get this topic back on page 1. Because I would really like to know what is happening.
Individuality's fine... As long as we all do it together.

vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

#3 Post by vociferocity »

can you post your code? like, your init block and the label where everything's going wrong, preferably in a [ code ][ / code ] block, so that I can have a good look at what's happening?

Daggett
Regular

#4 Post by Daggett »

vociferocity wrote:can you post your code? like, your init block and the label where everything's going wrong, preferably in a [ code ][ / code ] block, so that I can have a good look at what's happening?
Sure thing. This is how the par that is acting weird looks exactly, minus the "[ code ][ / code ]" things. The entire label is 547 words. Do you want that too?

[ code ]
y "Thank you."

init:

with None
scene bg back pt1
with dissolve

y "Guess who's back."

scene bg back pt5

ukc "What are you doing here?"
[ / code ]

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#5 Post by sciencewarrior »

Remove the spaces inside the "[ code ][ / code ]" tags before posting. The purpose is having a block like this

Code: Select all

where
  we
    can see your
  code
identation
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

Daggett
Regular

#6 Post by Daggett »

sciencewarrior wrote:Remove the spaces inside the "[ code ][ / code ]" tags before posting. The purpose is having a block like this

where
  we
    can see your
  code
identation
Sorry about that. I'm new to forums. This is how it looks. I have been using this for all the indentation on this label. Just flat on the side of the script. I thought I'd have to go back over it, but it worked. The text and pictures before show up and everything. All that is happening is the picture doesn't show up.

y "Thank you."

init:

with None
scene bg back pt1
with dissolve

y "Guess who's back."

scene bg back pt5

backansi
Veteran

#7 Post by backansi »

init:

label start:
    # ....
    y "Thank you."

scene bg back pt1
    with dissolve

y "Guess who's back."

scene bg back pt5

If you defined something in a init block, you don't need to insert the init block in the middle of label block to use them in your game.

Daggett
Regular

#8 Post by Daggett »

backansi wrote:

init:

label start:
    # ....
    y "Thank you."

scene bg back pt1
    with dissolve

y "Guess who's back."

scene bg back pt5

If you defined something in a init block, you don't need to insert the init block in the middle of label block to use them in your game.
Why is that? The first game I made I didn't do that. And what is the " # ...." for? Will that fix the image malfunction?
Should I also put the init before the label?

vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

#9 Post by vociferocity »

a "#" is a comment marking, in ren'py. you use them to comment out a line - if a line is commented out, it won't be read as a line of programming. it can either be at the start of a line (to comment out the whole line), or during it, to comment out whatever is after it so you can comment your code with it, eg:

# this is a comment
# ren'py won't think these lines are part of the script, they're just for me to look at! it's good to comment stuff
# so you can look at it later and remember exactly what everything means

#kitchen scene: this is the dramatic finale!!
label kitchen:
    scene whatever
    show loveinterest happy

bf "I...I love you" #ugh! note to self, come up with better dialogue!!
so the "#..." in the code backansi posted is just a "...", like, "the rest of your script goes here", basically. and yeah, your init should go above the label. you could even put your initialisation stuff in another file, to keep everything all neat :)

Daggett
Regular

#10 Post by Daggett »

vociferocity wrote:a "#" is a comment marking, in ren'py. you use them to comment out a line - if a line is commented out, it won't be read as a line of programming. it can either be at the start of a line (to comment out the whole line), or during it, to comment out whatever is after it so you can comment your code with it, eg:

# this is a comment
# ren'py won't think these lines are part of the script, they're just for me to look at! it's good to comment stuff
# so you can look at it later and remember exactly what everything means

#kitchen scene: this is the dramatic finale!!
label kitchen:
    scene whatever
    show loveinterest happy

bf "I...I love you" #ugh! note to self, come up with better dialogue!!
so the "#..." in the code backansi posted is just a "...", like, "the rest of your script goes here", basically. and yeah, your init should go above the label. you could even put your initialisation stuff in another file, to keep everything all neat :)
I like to have the pov make the choice then have the fade to show that the scene is changing into the future and just next scene, but as a time lapse. Won't putting it before the label fade before the choice is made? And what about that image issue? The fade works but after the fade thing finishes, it won't show up. It works in a previous part too! And I can't move on my checking or writing until I find out what's going on. :(

Thank you for all your help, everybody. :mrgreen:

Daggett
Regular

#11 Post by Daggett »

I got it. I just used a similar background image. The other times in the code that scene bg worked, so I don't know. Thanks for all the suggestion.