[Solved] IndexError: tuple index out of range

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
10kNing
Regular
Projects: Revenance (RPG), Mad-Love (GxB, on hold)

[Solved] IndexError: tuple index out of range

#1 Post by 10kNing »

Solved: I am kind of an airhead

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After loading the script.
IndexError: tuple index out of range

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 291, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\main.py", line 291, in main
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\parser.py", line 1947, in report_parse_errors
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\error.py", line 121, in report_parse_errors
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\game.py", line 289, in invoke_in_new_context
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\error.py", line 40, in call_exception_screen
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\core.py", line 1809, in interact
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\core.py", line 555, in replace_transient
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\core.py", line 825, in remove
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\core.py", line 753, in hide_or_replace
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\screen.py", line 176, in _hide
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\display\screen.py", line 245, in update
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\screenlang.py", line 1166, in __call__
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\python.py", line 977, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "common/_errorhandling.rpym", line 468, in <module>
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\ui.py", line 435, in __call__
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\text\text.py", line 1035, in __init__
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\text\text.py", line 1078, in set_text
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Marcia\My Documents\Ren'Py 6.13.8\renpy\substitutions.py", line 218, in substitute
  File "string.pyo", line 549, in vformat
  File "string.pyo", line 571, in _vformat
  File "string.pyo", line 632, in get_field
  File "string.pyo", line 589, in get_value
IndexError: tuple index out of range

Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Ren'Py 6.13.8.1675
I'm not sure what this means. I tried launching the project a few months ago and it worked well but then I decided to put all my effort into my main project and didn't edit it for months and when I tried again yesterday this still popped up so I tried updating Ren'Py but that didn't work either. What does the error message mean?
Last edited by 10kNing on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: IndexError: tuple index out of range

#2 Post by PyTom »

I have no idea. Can you send me a copy of the project, so I can debug this with the latest Ren'Py. (It looks like there's an underlying bug, and the error handling is failing to work as well.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

10kNing
Regular
Projects: Revenance (RPG), Mad-Love (GxB, on hold)

Re: IndexError: tuple index out of range

#3 Post by 10kNing »

Sorry, found the issue! It was a missing quotation mark near the bottom of the script. Whoops. Thank you for your time!