Main Menu Images with In-Game Image Flexibility

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lackofwords

Main Menu Images with In-Game Image Flexibility

#1 Post by lackofwords »

I'm trying to show each character image on the main menu, with the flexibility they have in the actual game. (e.g. with transitions, transformation, etc.)

Is it possible?

If it isn't, I think my next best option is making those images into button images, and positioning them across the screen.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Main Menu Images with In-Game Image Flexibility

#2 Post by HigurashiKira »

Depends on what you're trying to do. If they're supposed to change when you hover over something, then it might be best to turn them into imagebuttons
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

lackofwords

#3 Post by lackofwords »

Main objective is having the character image change depending on the state of the persistent data of the game. Like if a certain route was cleared or not.

E.G. The first game that comes to my mind which did this was Shin Megami Tensei: Demon Survivor.

Other than that, transition/motions would be nice, but not really necessary.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by HigurashiKira »

In that case, you might want to look at this and get to know ATL
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

lackofwords

#5 Post by lackofwords »

Thanks. Still trying to figure out the whole language structure of this. Is a bit confusing to follow the documentations.

Such as from what I understand, screen language is used for screens. Screens are broken up into pieces to form what the user sees. Such as the menu overlays, to the dialog window. However, when you try to tie that into the ATLanguage it might not always work. Such as the "with" clause, E.G. with Dissolve(n), does not work, while "at" clauses works fine, E.G. at transformation.

Might just need to prod around a bit more. See what makes it tick.