asian characters

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kik

asian characters

#1 Post by kik »

hello!

I would like to know what I can do if I'd like to use japanese. I saw, somewhwere, something about japanese support, but I can't find anything more, so I'm writing here. Or it's not possible if the windows isn't japanese version??

thank you,
kik

sigmaxion
Regular

#2 Post by sigmaxion »

Maybe this thread will help you out...

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1156
I'm in love, so I have no time for game making:)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

It's possible. There are 3 things you have to do:

1) You need to save as UTF-8 unicode. SciTE should do this by default when you save a script, but you need to be aware of this.

2) You need to download a free Japanese font, place it in the game directory, and then tell Ren'Py to use it. For example, if your font is mikachan.ttf, then you would write:

Code: Select all

init:
    $ style.default.font = "mikachan.ttf"
You'll want a font you can distribute with the game.

3) If you'd like Ren'Py to properly wrap Japanese text, then you should copy east_asian.rpy from the extras/ directory to the game directory.

If you do all three of these steps, then Ren'Py should support Japanese text. Please let me know your experience, as I don't think anyone's seriously used the Japanese text support before.

Oh, since Ren'Py handles all text rendering itself, it shouldn't matter if your windows isn't Japanese. (The one issue being that renpy.input() is not supported for non-English languages, and especially not for ones that require input method support.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Adorya »

Can you declare multiple multiple font if you want to use multiple language characters? :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

While it's theoretically possible, it would almost certainly be very difficult to mix 2 fonts. There's no support for doing it automatically, so you'd be stuck changing the font around throughout the program. (Using the {font=} text tag, the who_font and what_font parameters to Character, and so on.)

Suffice it to say, I don't recommend it.

kik

#6 Post by kik »

thank youuuu!!!!!!

I suffered a bit, but the experience has been successful!!

I'll tell you when I finish that! I want to make game in 3 languages - English, Portuguese and Japanese.

thank you once more,
kik

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

I'm glad you were able to make it work. If you can describe the problems you had, I'll take a look at them and see if they can be made easier for the next guy in line.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. You may want to consider registering, as it's free and comes with many exciting benefits.*

* If you consider private messaging an exciting benefit.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#8 Post by Megaman Z »

PyTom wrote:I'm glad you were able to make it work. If you can describe the problems you had, I'll take a look at them and see if they can be made easier for the next guy in line.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. You may want to consider registering, as it's free and comes with many exciting benefits.*

* If you consider private messaging an exciting benefit.
* and being able to edit your post(s) in the event that you make a big typo that effectively changes the meaning of your post(s).

irregardless, you've perked my interest. I'll be keeping my eyes open for whatever you have coming... unless it's invisible *gets whacked by Aires*
~Kitsune Zeta

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

I have a feeling s/he is Brazilian of Japanese ancestry.

Now I just pray this game gets completed, more multi-platform / multi-lingual Ren'Py games to conquer to world with, the better.