PyTom please come in, need your permission.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sigmaxion
Regular

PyTom please come in, need your permission.

#1 Post by sigmaxion »

Nowadays, more and more Chinese doujin game maker became interested on Ren'Py, but unfortunately, a lot of them are suffering the language obstacles. So, I think maybe I can contribute some tiny effort on Ren'Py's internationalization, because I like this engine, and I hope it will become more and more popular in the world. So I decided to translate the wiki into some Chinese version pages, it will include the tutorials, reference, and maybe the cookbook.

I added a small icon and link on Ren'Py's homepage, it links to the Chinese version pages. You can check it by clicking here.
http://www.renpy.org
And, if it makes you feel uneasy, please tell me, I will remove it immediately, or you can delete it without informing me.:D
I'm in love, so I have no time for game making:)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

I think that's a good thing to do. But I thought China (as well as Korea) would have had access to a far greater array of visual-novel making tools.

But if Ren'Py trumps them as the choice to use, that can only be a good thing.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

I hope there will be english translations for these too ^.^. This would help to make for a bigger pool of games.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Okay, several things here.

First, I'd be happy if you would translate the Ren'Py website and documentation into Chinese. I like it when people use my software.

Of course, there is a language barrier... you'd need to commit to keeping the Chinese portion of the site updated on a regular basis, as I simply cannot. I'd also need you to keep an eye on the RecentChanges page for wiki-spam, as I would probably have a problem with that. Well, I can sort of recognize the hanzi for "download", but that's about it.

Right now, you have the Chinese pages under "chs"... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the language code for Chinese "zh" (or the longer "zho")? That's what ISO 639 says, and I'm thinking that we should follow it.

Finally, there's the issue of the link. I don't want to get overly political, but I'm thinking a giant red flag on the top of each page isn't really the best way to do things. So I'm thinking the right way to do this would be to add an "Other Languages" section to the sidebar, and to stick "中文 (Chinese)" in the sidebar. (Assuming I got the characters right, which I very far from likely.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

sigmaxion
Regular

#5 Post by sigmaxion »

I will do my best.
After all, I also have work to do. and I take this as my hobby, err, one of my hobbies.:)

ps:CHS means Simplified Chinese, which is being used by mainland. and you know, there is another CHT, means Traditional Chinese, which is being used by Hongkong and Taiwan people.
Last edited by sigmaxion on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Okay, fair enough. Did I get the characters for Chinese right?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

sigmaxion
Regular

#7 Post by sigmaxion »

PyTom wrote:Okay, fair enough. Did I get the characters for Chinese right?
You mean this "中文"?
Yeah, if you just talk about these two characters, there is not much difference between CHS and CHT. Look, this is CHS version:中文, and this one is CHT version:中文.

But when it comes to "Download", look, this is CHS version:下载, and this one is CHT version:下載. well, you can see the distinguished difference.

In fact, in mainland, many people cannot read Traditional Chinese, and vice versa.

ps: I changed the link on homepage into Chinese, because I am afraid some people cannot catch the meaning of "Chinese Version"...-__-b