strategy for episodic content

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
asciibard
Regular

strategy for episodic content

#1 Post by asciibard »

As a motivator and a means of breaking up the workload into chunks, I'm interested in developing an episodic game where I will release each chapter individually as I write them.

I've figured out how to do this technologically - I plan to start with a main menu that lets users select the chapter, very similar to PyTom's bundled tutorial.

The only real problem I can think of is convenience and accessibility. It's kind of arduous to ask my players to download 70MB and overwrite their previous installation with a new one.

I'm looking for advice on the most convenient way of doing this that is respectful of my players. A strategy that's not too difficult or confusing. Is Ren'Py even the right platform for this concept or is it more intended for complete, all-inclusive games? Would this publishing strategy be better served by a web-based solution?

Thanks!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: strategy for episodic content

#2 Post by papillon »

If/when there is a general renpy patcher made available, this will get easier as people will be prompted to download only the parts that have changed. (We have one, but it's not very user-friendly for anyone who isn't Spiky.)

asciibard
Regular

#3 Post by asciibard »

A patcher would be absolutely ideal. If this is in the roadmap then I will continue this would-be episodic project without fear.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#4 Post by nyaatrap »

Just drag&drop newer data2.rpa and scripts2.rpyc files into the game folder must work and it's easy enough for almost doujin game users :)
This entry has information about archives.

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#5 Post by sciencewarrior »

By updating a global variable holding your list of episodes, you can "register" a new episode. Check this list when creating your main menu and you won't even have to change your screen.rpy.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#6 Post by Graph »

It seems like updating story and art by the episode should be easy enough. Though, how feasible is it to upgrade Ren'py itself to a newer version (say from 6.12.2 to the future 6.14 or 7) using a patch? (As opposed to having the end user download the whole thing fresh when the new episode comes out)