Text Fade-In/Out?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
llirium
Regular
Projects: Aurora Fall (editor, as Xyllirium)

Text Fade-In/Out?

#1 Post by llirium »

I really wish that I could do this in Ren'Py, but I can't seem to find out how. *blushes* Looked over a fair bit of the wiki, but no luck.. or that I'm a programming dunce or missed something. -.-

What I want to do in my game is to have sentence fragments appear with a fade-in.. and disappear with a fade-out.

Is there any other way besides creating image files of the text? Or making the text transparent (or appear to be) somehow? :oops:

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Text Fade-In/Out?

#2 Post by Jake »

llirium wrote:What I want to do in my game is to have sentence fragments appear with a fade-in.. and disappear with a fade-out.
Hm... I can't check it 'cause I'm at work right now, but off the top of my head I'm pretty sure the following should work:

Code: Select all

e "I've been thinking..."

e "I've been thinking... about buying a Rubik's cube." with dissolve

e "I've been thinking..." with dissolve
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

llirium
Regular
Projects: Aurora Fall (editor, as Xyllirium)

Re: Text Fade-In/Out?

#3 Post by llirium »

Jake wrote:Hm... I can't check it 'cause I'm at work right now, but off the top of my head I'm pretty sure the following should work:

Code: Select all

e "I've been thinking..."

e "I've been thinking... about buying a Rubik's cube." with dissolve

e "I've been thinking..." with dissolve
Gah.. yeah.. that works ok, I think.. I'll try working with customizing it, but for a brief dissolve, that works fine. :oops: Thank you!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

The one thing is you may want to put {fast} at the end of the lines with dissolves in them. Otherwise, it may not work as you want with slow text.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom