The layout hates me

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RedReality

The layout hates me

#1 Post by RedReality »

Whenever I try to customize by using "layout.imagemap", it always fails. I can't interact. The hotspots I put doesn't work even though it's correct and sometimes it just shows the normal screens. I follow tutorials but the results are the same. And there's this question I always wanted to ask: where the heck do I put the layout.imagemap code?? In the master code or below in the init -2 python? This layout thing is giving me a migraine.

Thanks in advance...

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Re: The layout hates me

#2 Post by mugenjohncel »

I don't know... but here is a fully working screen based imagemap GUI which you could dissemble so you can see how it works...

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
Once downloaded, make a folder inside your Renpy directory and name it any name you want and extract the contents of the ZIP file in there...

It has a different imagemap for main menu one for before you finished the game and one after the game that unlocks an extra menu called extras that contains... nothing...

Hope this helps... :) and if you needed additional help... do not be shy and ask Uncle Mugen because Uncle Mugen loves Ren'py Imagemaps...

"POOF" (Disappears)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#3 Post by nyaatrap »

RedReality wrote:Whenever I try to customize by using "layout.imagemap", it always fails. I can't interact. The hotspots I put doesn't work even though it's correct and sometimes it just shows the normal screens. I follow tutorials but the results are the same. And there's this question I always wanted to ask: where the heck do I put the layout.imagemap code?? In the master code or below in the init -2 python? This layout thing is giving me a migraine.

Thanks in advance...
I think it should never work on the current ren'py but no one rewrite the wiki..

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#4 Post by Nuxill »

nyaatrap wrote:
RedReality wrote:Whenever I try to customize by using "layout.imagemap", it always fails. I can't interact. The hotspots I put doesn't work even though it's correct and sometimes it just shows the normal screens. I follow tutorials but the results are the same. And there's this question I always wanted to ask: where the heck do I put the layout.imagemap code?? In the master code or below in the init -2 python? This layout thing is giving me a migraine.

Thanks in advance...
I think it should never work on the current ren'py but no one rewrite the wiki..
There's a whole section devoted to it in the new documentation...
I'm guessing you're using an old version of the imagemap creation; there's an easier way to do it with the new screen language if you haven't checked it out yet: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.h ... statements

RedReality

#5 Post by RedReality »

Thanks for all your advice :)
I really appreciate it.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#6 Post by OokamiKasumi »

mugenjohncel wrote:I don't know... but here is a fully working screen based imagemap GUI which you could dissemble so you can see how it works...
... Uncle Mugen loves Ren'py Imagemaps...
Thank you so much for posting this, uncle Mugen!
-- I adore Ren'py image maps myself. Unfortunately, I just could not figure out the coding to do a fully image mapped preference screen or the save/load screens.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar