screen adjustment

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
creepybrow

screen adjustment

#1 Post by creepybrow »

I have been working on some options for my Ren py game and I want to disable the ability to adjust the screen in windowed mode with the screen height being 600, and the width at 800. I don't know if this is even possible with the Ren py engine. I know that Katawa Shoujo used the Ren py engine for some of their creation, but i'm not sure how much of the Ren py engine they used for everything. I tried launching the Katawa game and You cannot manually adjust the window that pops up, and I would like to do the same. I would also like to have my background image adjust to fullscreen mode as well. If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it. :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: screen adjustment

#2 Post by PyTom »

KS uses an older version of Ren'Py. In newer ones, you should be able to just drag to resize the window.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

creepybrow

#3 Post by creepybrow »

It's nice to know that the makers had an older version than I do. The only problem is that a picture I use for the background of my game does not adjust to the window size when set to full screen mode, or manually stretching it. I just want a way to fix this, otherwise, it's just an eyesore for me, or anyone in the future who might play my game.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

What do you mean? It letterboxes, but it should adjust the size to fill one dimension of the letterbox.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

creepybrow

#5 Post by creepybrow »

When adjusting to full screen mode, the picture adjusts, you aren't mistaken. The problem I have is when the sides of the background are black. That might just be part of the picture I am using now that I think about it. It is 800x600. What I want is for the whole picture to be stretched to each corner leaving no empty space. The only other way I can describe this is when you go into the windows 7 backgrounds for the desktop and request the OS to stretch the given image to fill all of the space seen.

dracothrope
Regular

#6 Post by dracothrope »

It could be that your image is not the same dimensions as the full screen mode window. Your monitor could be much wider than a simply resized 600x800 image, which is why you are getting black on either side: it prevents your background from being stretched to form an ungainly image. Are you saying that you'd rather have the image stretched out to accommodate any sized monitor? Keep in mind that sprites will likely be affected as well, making them look shorter or squatter.

creepybrow

#7 Post by creepybrow »

Yes, I would like the screen adjusted in full screen to any type of monitor the user plays this VN on. Every time I play any of the Visual Novels on my computer such as Katawa Shoujo, Fullscreen mode still looks pretty good on my monitor. Not sure what size their image was, or what they did, but it looks great.

TrailsInTheSky
Regular
Projects: I'm Not The Perfect Guy For Her

#8 Post by TrailsInTheSky »

Bump. I wonder if there is a way that you can make a full screen in your pc even the pixels was 800×600
Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.
-Neil Armstrong

Current project: I'm Not The Perfect Guy For Her (Rom.Com.Drama)
https://www.facebook.com/trailsin.thesky.1
http://bestofthebestclassicalpianomusic.tumblr.com
http://blog-trailsinthesky.tumblr.com/