Distribution and saved games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
unmei

Distribution and saved games

#1 Post by unmei »

So, to provide others with a test-run of my game (and get some eyes on it that aren't mine), I went to build a distribution of the game. After doing so, I opened up the game to doublecheck everything and noticed that there were numerous save games, only two of which I had ever created during testing. I remade the distribution after clearing the persistent data and whatnot, but the save games are still showing up. What am I missing here?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Distribution and saved games

#2 Post by Alex »

Try to run you game with launcher, delete all saves (press "del" over save slot) and after that build distribution.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

You don't need to do that.

The saves aren't stored with the game. If you move the distribution of your game to a new system, your saves will not be there.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Showsni »

How exactly does RenPy match the saves to the game, then? It's a little disconcerting to see all my developer saves pop up in a new distribution, where sometimes I've even changed the name of the project and put it in a new folder...

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#5 Post by Anima »

There is a separate save folder in appdata. So as long as the game still points to the same save directory you will see your saves even in the distribution. Of course that's only if the game is run on the same computer. That folder is not included in the distribution, so there is no need to do anything at all.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III