Some newbie questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mms

Some newbie questions

#1 Post by mms »

I'm new here, and I have some questions to ask, since I couldn't find anything in the online tutorials/documentation. xD;

1. How do you make background of the image portrait transparent? I've looked at the demo, and some games that are vievable, and couldn't find this.
2. How big would be frame for the message box, if I wanted to make my own, and would it be possible to make it half-transparent, as is the default one? Would it be possible to make it consist two images - one for a frame, and one for the background?
3. Are there any branching games with vievable code? I would like to see it for learning purposes, nothing more (I'm the "open it and see how it works" type of person). And how many Ren'Py code files (.rpy files) can be used in a game? How the game itself determines which one to run first, and which one to choose?

Oh, and I've encountered a problem with Ren'Py launcher... when I start it, and choose "Edit script" it shows only text "Editor with ... scripts loaded" but doesn't do anything. I have to open the files manually.

PS. Sorry for my Engrish ^^;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Some newbie questions

#2 Post by PyTom »

mms wrote:1. How do you make background of the image portrait transparent? I've looked at the demo, and some games that are vievable, and couldn't find this.
2. How big would be frame for the message box, if I wanted to make my own, and would it be possible to make it half-transparent, as is the default one? Would it be possible to make it consist two images - one for a frame, and one for the background?
For both of these, you want to add the transparency in an image editor that supports it, like the GIMP. I'm not sure what the difference between the frame and the background is... could you explain?

For the roundrect theme, the message box is expected to be 788x138.
[/code]

Code: Select all

3. Are there any branching games with vievable code? I would like to see it for learning purposes, nothing more (I'm the "open it and see how it works" type of person). And how many Ren'Py code files (.rpy files) can be used in a game? How the game itself determines which one to run first, and which one to choose?
3a. There are a few. Moonlight walks has viewable code, and so does (IIRC) colorless day.

3b. The number is unlimited.

3c. All init blocks are run, and then control is passed to the "start" label. You can only have one of each label in the game.
Oh, and I've encountered a problem with Ren'Py launcher... when I start it, and choose "Edit script" it shows only text "Editor with ... scripts loaded" but doesn't do anything. I have to open the files manually.
What platform are you on? Could you take a screenshot showing the problem?
Attachments
moonlight.rpy
(60.12 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

Re: Some newbie questions

#3 Post by Enerccio »

PyTom wrote:
3c. All init blocks are run, and then control is passed to the "start" label. You can only have one of each label in the game.
So i can have jump in main script.rpy to a label in other rpy file???
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

mms

#4 Post by mms »

Thanks^^

My comp - Windows98, PentiumII 400,128mb Ram...
And here's the screenshot => http://anmidia.sitesled.com/misc/Problem01.jpg

As for the frame with background.... first we have the frame
then the background
And how it looks in RPGmaker game (ignore the scary graphic^^; )

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

The text editor may not work on Windows 98... that system may just be too old for us. Does it work if you double-click it?

I merged your two pictures into a single png, using the GIMP.
Attachments
textbox2.png
textbox2.png (626 Bytes) Viewed 1848 times

mms

#6 Post by mms »

PyTom wrote: I merged your two pictures into a single png, using the GIMP.
Aww, thanks^__^

And yes, when I double-click any .rpy file, SciTE opens it without any problems. That's why I was so surprised it didn't work in launcher...

*goes offline to write more of her game script*

Andrea Cavalcanti

#7 Post by Andrea Cavalcanti »

mms wrote: 1. How do you make background of the image portrait transparent? ^^;
I use Photoshop 7.0 and make the background transparent. :'D

mms

#8 Post by mms »

Thanks for the help everyone ^____^
And... I have another question - whats the maximum size of image with name? I mean the one you can use when defining character...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

There is no limit to how long the name can be. There's also no limit to how big the image can be, although you probably want to limit it to the size of the screen, except in special cases.