The problem of switching between NVL mode and ADV mode

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

The problem of switching between NVL mode and ADV mode

#1 Post by Michiyo6918 »

I'm encountering a really big problem right now. My game's using both NVL and ADV mode and it requires me to switch back and forth between those two. Normally if my VN was a linear story then there wouldn't have any problem. But since my VN is a visual novel... and has pretty much choice so I will need to add a lot of choice in the story while using both NVL and ADV mode. This is when the problem came up.

If I use the ADV's menu choice then the NVL text will be cleared up when the choices appear.

But if I use the NVL's menu choice then when my VN's in ADV mode, the choice will always appears on top of the screen where the sprites are standing :roll:

I read through this thread but still couldn't figure out how to do it. (Where should I put the code? How can I make the code take effect?)

Oh, another question would be how to keep the text box up during the transition.

I know 1 way to do it is use "window show", but I don't know why but it didn't work. I figured the NVL mode must have mess with that...
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

apricotorange
Veteran

Re: The problem of switching between NVL mode and ADV mode

#2 Post by apricotorange »

I read through this thread but still couldn't figure out how to do it. (Where should I put the code? How can I make the code take effect?)
(For reference, the code:

Code: Select all

init python:
    adv_menu = menu
    use_nvl_menu = False

def menu(*args, **kwargs):
        if use_nvl_menu:
             return nvl_menu(*args, **kwargs)
        else:
             return adv_menu(*args, **kwargs)
Put the code anywhere; use "$ use_nvl_menu = True" when you switch into NVL mode, and "$ use_nvl_menu = False" when you switch back to ADV.

Not sure what you're asking about the text box...

Michiyo6918
Veteran

#3 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Put the code anywhere; use "$ use_nvl_menu = True" when you switch into NVL mode, and "$ use_nvl_menu = False" when you switch back to ADV.

Not sure what you're asking about the text box...
That easy...? Woa, thank you :lol:

Uhm, about the text box... I want to keep the text box on the screen during the transition (character's transition, BG's transition). You know, normally the text box will disappear for a second when "with dissolve/fade" or some kind of other transition commands run. I want to keep the text box sticks to the screen but I don't know how...
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

apricotorange
Veteran

#4 Post by apricotorange »

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there isn't any straightforward way to override the "disappears immediately" behavior for say screens.

@berration
Regular
Projects: EH...

#5 Post by @berration »

Michiyo6918 wrote:Uhm, about the text box... I want to keep the text box on the screen during the transition (character's transition, BG's transition). You know, normally the text box will disappear for a second when "with dissolve/fade" or some kind of other transition commands run. I want to keep the text box sticks to the screen but I don't know how...
I'm still not sure if there's an ideal way to do this, but (for ADV, at least) you can keep the window up during transitions with:

window show
When you want the transitions to apply to the window again, use:

window hide

Michiyo6918
Veteran

#6 Post by Michiyo6918 »

@berration wrote:
Michiyo6918 wrote:Uhm, about the text box... I want to keep the text box on the screen during the transition (character's transition, BG's transition). You know, normally the text box will disappear for a second when "with dissolve/fade" or some kind of other transition commands run. I want to keep the text box sticks to the screen but I don't know how...
I'm still not sure if there's an ideal way to do this, but (for ADV, at least) you can keep the window up during transitions with:

window show
When you want the transitions to apply to the window again, use:

window hide
I tried to do it but no use. Maybe because I used NVL mode in my game so those codes are no longer work for the ADV mode... that's why I try to find a resolution for this.
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

apricotorange
Veteran

#7 Post by apricotorange »

What do you have config.empty_window set to?