Main Menu Buttons

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DragonaTalon127

Main Menu Buttons

#1 Post by DragonaTalon127 »

It seems once again I have hit a wall. This is the problem. I've been trying to edit the main menu to use my buttons as the main menu buttons. I've been working at it for a while and it's showing the error that the syntax is invalid. I've looked on many forums here and they all say this code that I used I even copied and pasted so it would be in right. If someone could please tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it.
Attachments
problem.png
problem2.png

bunbun
Regular

Re: Main Menu Buttons

#2 Post by bunbun »

I'm not very good at programming but I'll try to help ;;;
did you mistaken " as '?
try replacing all the ' as " example ground "mm_bg2.png" instead of 'mm_bg2.png'
WIPS

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Are you sure you put that in the screens script? You need to replace the main menu, not add one in the options script.

apricotorange
Veteran

#4 Post by apricotorange »

What version of Ren'Py are you using? If you aren't using the latest version (6.13.12), please try it.

Edit: Err, wait, I just realized how you could get that error: make sure there aren't any spaces/tabs before the keyword "screen".

DragonaTalon127

#5 Post by DragonaTalon127 »

@bunbun I replaced all the ' as " like you said. When I found the code on the forum they were all ' even though I thought it was supposed to be " but decided not to mess with the code since that's how it was posted.

@apricotorange Yes, I'm using the latest version. I just fixed the spaces behind screen and now its showing the main menu screen but still showing the default buttons instead of the ones I created.

@Sundownkid I didn't put it in the screens script. -_-' So I should go to the screen tab and replace the screen menu there?

lein

#6 Post by lein »

It actually works wherever you put the screen code in any .rpy files... but you may want to put it in together with screen script so it'll be easier to manage your customized configurations, cmiiw -_-
screen main_menu itself actually already exists in the screen script, so it might be the reason why the default main menu appears instead of your modified one.

try to replacing the old one into your modified codes... hope this help - -)a

since Im also newbie at using renpy so i dont know much... hope im not wrong -_-
My artworks on deviantART.
Now also opening commission! *shameless promotion mode on

I wish I could start off my own VN thread ASAP ._.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#7 Post by nyaatrap »

Code: Select all

init 1:
    screen
higher number of init blocks will overwrite the old one (screens are defined on the init -500 blocks in default), or just define the newest at the bottom of the script.

DragonaTalon127

#8 Post by DragonaTalon127 »

Thanks so much for the help everyone! I was able to fix the error and it's doing what I want :)