Character Sprite Display Problems

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
hentropy

Character Sprite Display Problems

#1 Post by hentropy »

I'm new to Ren'Py and am trying to create a simple game with simple animations, specifically characters moving on and off screen. So far I've been doing it with this line:

Code: Select all

show image at Move ((0.0, 0.5), (0.35, 0.5), 1.0, xanchor=0.5, yanchor=0.5) with Dissolve(0.75)
The transformation plays correctly, for the most part, but there's a flicker at the top-left corner of the screen at the start of that transformation along with the rest of the similar transformations. It almost feels like the game is quickly switching out the different character images very quickly by moving them on and off screen, and it looks shoddy. It also occasionally does it when switching out static images. The image also stops just short of where it should be, so the next image that it gets replaced with jumps a little to the side, not much, but it's noticeable.

The strange things about this is that it doesn't happen again if I rewind the scene and try again. Some of the flickering still happens sometimes, although other times it doesn't happen. The sprites are in the right place and transition correctly. So is there something I'm missing here? I haven't tried using ATL for something like this yet because it seems needlessly complex for the simple movements I'm trying to do. But despite everything being coded correctly to my knowledge and it playing mostly correct if you just back it up, it seems like another problem with how it's handling the images.
Last edited by hentropy on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

Re: Character Sprite Display Problems

#2 Post by tigerkidde »

This may not help you at the moment, but when I was playtesting a sprite movement, I discovered I didn't hide my character from a previous jump when fading out a scene. Which yielded odd results during the transition.

hentropy

#3 Post by hentropy »

I'll keep that in mind for later, but all of the hides are done properly, and like I said things display better (not the way they should, but better) when replaying them using scroll-up.

swing

#4 Post by swing »

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but I just joined this forum to ask about this problem, and this was the first topic that came up in the search about the same issue. The exact same thing happens to me, the picture flickers at the top-left corner for a very short moment before the next sprite displays (which is animated and moving). Does anyone know what's causing it?