Issues with customising the textbox

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Uthred

Issues with customising the textbox

#1 Post by Uthred »

I've two issues with customising the textbox. I have the textbox customised but every time the scene loads the customised textbox reloads, as some sections have lots of scene changes this is super distracting, is there any way to stop it reloading each time the scene reloads?

The second issue is that I'd like certain section of the textbox to be interactive, in essence I'd like the two buttons at the end to be clickable, is this possible? Can you use an imagemap for the textbox?

LittleUrchin
Regular
Location: Trapped inside a snow cone with a purple walrus and a broken jukebox

Re: Issues with customising the textbox

#2 Post by LittleUrchin »

You can try making it an imagemap, or you could make an image of the textbox by itself, use that, and then create an imagemap comprised of a separate image of only the clickable parts, kind of similar to a quick menu.

Uthred

#3 Post by Uthred »

LittleUrchin wrote:You can try making it an imagemap, or you could make an image of the textbox by itself, use that, and then create an imagemap comprised of a separate image of only the clickable parts, kind of similar to a quick menu.
Thanks for the suggestion, I took care of the navigation issue by adding two buttons which overlap the clickable areas as you suggest. However I still cant figure out how to stop the textbox reloading every time the scene changes.

LittleUrchin
Regular

#4 Post by LittleUrchin »

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's possible since scene changes essentially clears the screen. Maybe someone else knows a way, but I'm glad to have helped some. c:

Uthred

#5 Post by Uthred »

LittleUrchin wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's possible since scene changes essentially clears the screen. Maybe someone else knows a way, but I'm glad to have helped some. c:
Its cool, found the answer elsewhere. You just use "window show" which will keep the textbox there until you use "window hide" to hide it. Thanks for the help though.

LittleUrchin
Regular

#6 Post by LittleUrchin »

Glad you found the answer!~

Midi
Regular
Projects: Limerick Castle

#7 Post by Midi »

Uthred wrote:
LittleUrchin wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's possible since scene changes essentially clears the screen. Maybe someone else knows a way, but I'm glad to have helped some. c:
Its cool, found the answer elsewhere. You just use "window show" which will keep the textbox there until you use "window hide" to hide it. Thanks for the help though.

Gosh, I was just about to say window show does that. XD Works well with transitions as well, but I think that's what you meant.

LittleUrchin
Regular

#8 Post by LittleUrchin »

Midi wrote:
Uthred wrote:

Gosh, I was just about to say window show does that. XD Works well with transitions as well, but I think that's what you meant.
Oh, cool, I learned something new.~ :'D