Start Developing on RenPy: Adding more functions to Voice

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
OdysseyStudio
Regular

Start Developing on RenPy: Adding more functions to Voice

#1 Post by OdysseyStudio »

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help figure how to set up a development environment so that I can start developing on RenPy. I have an Idea and I want to get started....but were do I start. I at least started a git account and forked Renpy and manage to get it down on my machine. So what I'm asking what tools I would need to develop, compile, and test my modified code of Renpy?

Edit: Oh and if anybody wonder the IDE I'm using is Geany cause I'm most fimiliar with it.
Last edited by OdysseyStudio on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep.
--Paul Strand

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Start Developing on RenPy

#2 Post by PyTom »

Right now, getting started developing is much harder than it should be.

What OS are you developing for? To really get going, you'll need to compile the Ren'Py modules. If you're on Linux, that's pretty easy - outside of Linux, it becomes much harder.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

OdysseyStudio
Regular

#3 Post by OdysseyStudio »

okay I'm developing under linux with ubuntu 12.04 as my distro of choice. I'm very fimiliar with the command line so if you give the comand lines and some instructions that qould be really great. The part I want to develop for is the voice part like adding a way to turn off individual character's voice.:-)
The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep.
--Paul Strand

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Some interim directions, until I get a better version:

* Download 6.14.1.
* Clone Ren'Py from github.
* Copy the linux* and python* directories from the lib directories in 6.14.1 to the lib directory in the checkout.

You should then be able to run the checkout by running ./renpy.sh

The voice code is in common/00voice.rpy
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

OdysseyStudio
Regular

#5 Post by OdysseyStudio »

Okay I got it up and running now, I'll open issue on the renpy/renpy git repository concerning what I want to do and get some feed back before starting.

Edit: here is the link to the git issue - https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/32
--Paul Strand