Strange problem

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
alshapton
Regular

Strange problem

#1 Post by alshapton »

I have been happily developing a game for the last 2 months and suddenly without (apparently) changing anything, the images in the folder in which the Ren'Py game scripts are stored are not being found!!!! - I get error messages which say that the image cannot be found and yet it is in the same folder as the scripts.
Obviously something has gone wrong, so I re-installed the whole ren'py 5.6.6 installation from the internet and still it doesnt work !!!!!!!

What do I need to do to rescue myself from this dire situation ??

thanks in advance.....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

You should first delete the .rpyc files in the game directory, just to be sure that old information isn't the cause. It shouldn't be, but you never know.

Next, can you zip up the files and send them to me, and also send me the exact error messages you're getting? It's hard to debug what's going on without any information. I'd also try running lint (from the tools menu), and see if that helps any.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

I knew this would be a potential problem someday...

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1527

It happened to me to and it happened as recently as yesterday (and I didn't move a single file this time... just editing, saving and running the game).

Workaround (oh... this is nothing but temporary remedy) delete any .rpyc files inside your game folder and everything will magically work (it worked for me).

Edit:

Of course... I could be wrong...

Goes back to work...

alshapton
Regular

deleted and it works!!!

#4 Post by alshapton »

Thanks for both your replies !!!!!