Recording Function?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Sakuya

Recording Function?

#1 Post by Sakuya »

I'm curious about the capabilities of Ren'Py. Since it has those functions such as zoom in, zoom out, rotate, pan, etc. I wanted to create a music video and add special lighting and text effects in another program. Much like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj77r5scg20

So does Ren'Py have a recording feature that records what you have made into an AVI or MPEG video segment? Then I can import that snippet into a video editing program and add audio, put it together, etc.

I still have not found a program that can rotate images like in that video. :( Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Sakuya on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read my webcomic, Tale of Yesterday.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#2 Post by Counter Arts »

Umm... yeah, ren'py is kinda a real time renderer while what you are talking about is prerendered motion graphics.

You're looking for Adobe After Effects.

Sakuya

#3 Post by Sakuya »

Yes, Adobe for the effects. But I'm talking about whether Ren'Py can record a segment of your "game" that you make in Ren'Py. Basically in Ren'Py, I load an image and then do a pan. Is there no way I can record that and save it as a video?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

The short answer is: no.

The long answer is: maybe. (Yes, three whole letters longer.)

I have a test framework that can take screenshots at regular intervals (as well as other things). If you have a program that can put those screenshots together and make them a movie, then you might yet be able to accomplish what you want.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sakuya

#5 Post by Sakuya »

PyTom wrote:I have a test framework that can take screenshots at regular intervals (as well as other things). If you have a program that can put those screenshots together and make them a movie, then you might yet be able to accomplish what you want.
I think my video editing program accepts animated GIFs and I do have a program for making those, so yes! I'm looking forward to another version of Ren'Py. :) Thanks.

If you do manage to make it take actual videos some time in the future, you'll have another cool asset to Ren'Py. :lol:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Going through animated gif is a bad idea, because gifs can only have 256 colors, which isn't really enough. But I know there are some programs that can turn PNGs to avis, so you should be good.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sakuya

#7 Post by Sakuya »

PyTom wrote:Going through animated gif is a bad idea, because gifs can only have 256 colors, which isn't really enough. But I know there are some programs that can turn PNGs to avis, so you should be good.
Oh that's right, thanks for reminding me. :shock:

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

Dude...use Flash. :D

Sakuya

#9 Post by Sakuya »

DaFool wrote:Dude...use Flash. :D
Honestly, I have tried it last year in school and it's too hard to animate complex drawings. So, I gave up. I don't know how those Japanese people do it, they must've hand-drawn every single frame or something. :? But their work is very impressive.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Counter Arts »

Sakuya wrote:
DaFool wrote:Dude...use Flash. :D
Honestly, I have tried it last year in school and it's too hard to animate complex drawings. So, I gave up. I don't know how those Japanese people do it, they must've hand-drawn every single frame or something. :? But their work is very impressive.
I am curious, what kind of complex drawings are you using that would be hard to animate complex drawings? And what do you mean by "hand-drawn every single frame"? Are you talking about Hanoka the anime? (Very unimpressed with the animation style from the commericals. I felt like I was watching something from newsgrounds.)

And yeah, After Effects is not just for effects, it's practically prerendered flash with effects.

Note: I use Adobe After Effects for work.

Sakuya

#11 Post by Sakuya »

By complex drawings, I just mean anime segments. Difficult things such as hair in the wind. And about the impressive Flash presentations, like this (thank god I found it again):
http://www.acerbandit.net/flash/soramimiyotuba.swf

Since there was never a Yotsubato! anime but an Azumanga Daioh anime (same creator), this one person decided to use the Azumanga Daioh's opening sequence and replace Yotsubato! characters into it. I also see several original scenes. I am not sure how they do it but it looks really professional and seamless.

I've also seen another one where it's basically line art of a manga character moving around which I suspect was drawn frame by frame. But I've lost that link.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Counter Arts »

Hehehe... It's not that seemless to me. Then again, I'm really used to adobe after effects so my standards are like waaaay too high. (i.e. I bought the Battle Fantasia W DVD at comic market in Japan and was blown away)

But from my experience from using After Effects, it looks like they are nesting animations.

In anycase, if you want to use Ren'py for that stuff then you're going to have to learn a little bit of the coding then. After Effects is probably THE program for amvs (Or MAD movies as they say in Japan). If not, then flash is a decent alternative. But, if you are willing to do a bit of coding and juggle a few programs around then you can use ren'py. That requires a bit of computer dexerity.

Sakuya

#13 Post by Sakuya »

Thankfully, Ren'Py don't seem to be that complex. And I don't want to get Adobe After Effects since who knows if I will even be good at this music video thing. It might just be another part of my 100 temporary phases. :lol:

By the way, that Battle Fantasia W was really cool. Did they really made all those from scratch? :shock: Too bad it's not a real game, I recognize a lot of the characters.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

From what you've posted (especially the Azumanga spoof), there is indeed frame by frame animation. But it's mixed with tweening animation (things moving or rotating between two key states). After Effects is probably a must for anything involving lots of special effects (transparency, filters) since it's pre-rendered. Flash is good for stuff like the Azumanga spoof, obviously (toon style, simple animations).
RenPy could work for something like the Azumanga spoof, I think. But yeah, you still to animate some parts frame by frame like they did to make it look remotely good :). I wouldn't expect making Battle Fantasia W with Ren'Py though... it's just not possible to run such a thing smoothly.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#15 Post by yummy »

I don't know if you were thinking about creating an in-game video using the transition effect or simply put a video...

On the hypothesis you wanted to create a transition effects movie, you could eventually use a game recorder like fraps or gamecam or CamStudio to record it.

I'd go for the last one since I'm using it (open source and reliable, but only for small purposes).