Uhh... Tiny question about NVL mode...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Uhh... Tiny question about NVL mode...

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

I am now implementing Nvl Style everytime the character talks to Himself/Herself and so far I have managed to do it without any difficulty (Thanks to that little button on top of the demo game)

All I'm asking right now is how to remove the name in the NVL mode (see attachement) because the example in the demo game is like this...

Code: Select all

init:

# Declare an nvl-version of eileen.
    $ nvle = NVLCharacter("Eileen", color="#c8ffc8")
and it has Eileen declaration thingy which I wanted removed and all I wanted is text in nvl mode (Like narration and stuff like that).

Please I need working example for this...

Thanks in advance...

Will go back to work... this coming thursday.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

init:
    $ nvl1 = NVLCharacter("")    
    $ nvl2 = NVLCharacter(None)
One of these two should do what you want.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

OK... tried it and...

init: 
    $ nvl1 = NVLCharacter("")  
Works perfectly, just the way I wanted it

init:    
Nope!... this one shows a "None" text

Next problem...

Now that the remove a name has been taken care of, there is this little thing about that huge empty space on the left side of the screen.

Is it possible to put the NVL text in the center (not Justified center) but rather move the whole thing a bit to the left?

Thanks in advance...

derik
Regular

#4 Post by derik »

mugenjohncel wrote:Next problem...

Now that the remove a name has been taken care of, there is this little thing about that huge empty space on the left side of the screen.

Is it possible to put the NVL text in the center (not Justified center) but rather move the whole thing a bit to the left?

Thanks in advance...
I'm nto 100% sure, having not messed with NVL mode before, but i suspect it's...

$ nvl1 = NVLCharacter("", window_left_margin = 10)
Mess with the value until you get one you're happy with.

It could also be window_left_padding I suppose.

Look at the window properties listed here. You can set them in the character object by putting a window_ prefix before them, as above.

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... Properties

derik
Regular

#5 Post by derik »

Oh, and if that doesn't do it- this thread:
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... Properties

....is Tom helping me move a window. May be of use.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

init:    
Nope!... this one shows a "None" text
Ups! I take it back... I think I may have figured out why that particular one doesn't work the way I anticipated it.

I actually used it like this...

init:    
    $ nvl2 = NVLCharacter("None")
It should have been like this...

init:    
...Oh well :oops:

pheriannath
Regular

#7 Post by pheriannath »

I've got another question to tack on to this, since it's also related to NVL (yes, I'm a great supporter of NVL mode)

You know that arrow animation you see at the end of every line (I believe it's called the 'click to continue indicator')? Now, if I were to implement this in NVL...you'd end up with something like the attachment.

How would I make that indicator appear only at the end of the last line being read, instead of staying at the end of every line?
Attachments
If there were twenty lines like that, this would be a *really* annoying KN...
If there were twenty lines like that, this would be a *really* annoying KN...

Raikiri
Regular

#8 Post by Raikiri »

Interesting. I'm a supporter of the NVL mode as well, and I intend to use it in a majority of my projects. I ran a quick test just to see, and I ended up with the same results pheriannath did. Is there some kind of painless way to fix this, or should we wait for a bugfix in a later release?
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

pheriannath
Regular

#9 Post by pheriannath »

I wouldn't call it a bug, the way it's implemented is intended to put an animated image at the end of every line you write. The only reason why it seems to work so well in dialogue mode is that you see only one line at a time in the window anyway.

Anything that fixes this in a later release would probably be an extra - and IMO as someone who appreciates NVL, essential - feature.

Raikiri
Regular

#10 Post by Raikiri »

pheriannath wrote:I wouldn't call it a bug, the way it's implemented is intended to put an animated image at the end of every line you write. The only reason why it seems to work so well in dialogue mode is that you see only one line at a time in the window anyway.
Well, I suppose that's true. I simply use the word bug to describe "unexpected features" of any kind. :P
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

absinthe
Regular

#11 Post by absinthe »

This is probably too kludgy (I tend to make things overly complex), but I did find a workaround that gives the right effect when I was first experimenting with something similar to nvl mode a while ago.

I just defined two character objects for the narrator, one with the standard flashing arrow, the other without. On the line before clearing the screen, I use the flashy-arrow narrator, for the rest I don't.

init:
    $ narrator = NVLCharacter("", color="#c8ffc8")
    $ fa_narrator = NVLCharacter("", color="#c8ffc8",
        ctc = anim.Blink("arrow.png"))

label start:
    "This wouldn't have a flashy arrow."
    "Neither would this."
    fa_narrator "This would end in a flashy arrow."
    $ nvl_clear()
Paired with kana mode, it looks really nice... but an easier way would probably be better. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by monele »

The problem with this solution is that you don't get the cursor on the two first sentences, even though you have to "click to continue", right? :/

absinthe
Regular

#13 Post by absinthe »

Wait, I thought that was what we wanted to do! Heh, am I confused again? :)

(I should add, I don't see right off how kana mode could work with nvl mode -- I had actually written my own 'novel mode' using window styles when I tried this last. But I bet there's a way... or maybe I'm the only one who finds the typing effect soothing?)

OH! I see what you mean, monele -- with an inconsistent flashy-arrow, the player might get confused when to click and when not to?

I never figured out how to do line breaks and such, myself, for smooth text that goes on different lines...

Heh, and I'm kind of weirded out now that I've looked at the image pheriannath posted more closely -- one of the characters in the game when I was first experimenting with a novel-mode effect was named 'Kaede' too! Spooky. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

*nods* ^^. I might be wrong but I think the idea is to have the cursor follow the last line you've read.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

This is probably an oversight on my part, which I think I'll need to modify Ren'Py to fix.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom