Ren'Py 6.0.0 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 6.0.0 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

I'm please to announce the release of Ren'Py 6.0.0 "The World Creates". This major release marks the culmination of over five months of development, which saw improvements to the ease of use of Ren'Py, the introduction of a tool suite, engine improvements, and the occasional bug fix.

Downloads and a full release announcement can be found at:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/releases/6.0.0
Last edited by PyTom on Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#2 Post by PyTom »

The more observant of you may notice that all of the timestamps in 6.0.0 are from yesterday. There's a story behind that one.

I was sitting at my computer, getting ready to make the release. I was at the wiki, and I actually had hit submit on the button that uploads the 6.0.0 page. Suddenly, I hear a crash, and the internet goes dead.

Winds up the ice storm caused a crashing down on my house's cable line. No TV, no phone, no internet... all of those come down a thin strand of coax. So, we had to wait a day for it to be fixed before the pre-release could be made.

(I did get a bunch of things done, however... I started work on 6.0.1, implementing hard pausing (happy now, mugenjohncel?) and re-implementing styles in a way that reduces memory while increasing speed.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

Congratulations... it's a big milestone. We've talked about the 6-series probably ever since Blade arrived, it was probably that push that created this milestone in the first place - so it's great to see it done. Good luck with the promotion as well.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Alright! Kudos to everyone who helped out with this release.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

I'm going to go fairly low key with the promotion, I've decided. I'll submit the press release to a few of the anime and game development news sites, and to a few blog/news sites (maybe visualnews will be interested, in conjunction with NaNoRenO?).

After that, I'll leave it up to people to spread the word as they see fit, with the caveat that I expect people to scrupulously follow the rules of the sites they post on.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#6 Post by yummy »

I tested it and there seemed to be no problems.
Good luck with the promotion :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Alright everybody- let's shamelessly spam every forum we can find! :P

*Note to those without a sense of humor- that was a joke...

low key huh? And I was looking forward to the fireworks show too...
Well, that's fine. If we spread the word quietly, I think those who want to find it will. And it really is a great release, with lots of improvements- so I'm perfectly content.

I actually worried a little about NaNoRenO stealing a tiny speck of Ren'Py's (the strangest possessive form I've ever seen...) thunder. But perhaps if they are announced together, it can have a bit of a compounded effect on attracting new people (Hey! Here's a new VN Engine! And look! An event to use it for!!!)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

I think Ren'Py 6 is largely a response to people complaining that Ren'Py was too difficult to use. I think that by shipping the launcher, the editor, a sample game, a quickstart tutorial, and by making the screencast available, we do something to help combat that.

I would expect that when letting blogs and such know about Ren'Py 6, people might also mention NaNoRenO. I probably will do that when I submit the information... but it's really up to the submitter.

I suggest that if people mention it to other sites, they post those sites here... I wouldn't want sites to get inundated (and annoyed) with unwanted messages. Ren'Py is largely being spread by word of mouth, and I don't want to jeopardize that by being too promotional about it.

Further plans: Barring any unexpected unexpectedness, 6.0.0 will be released Saturday morning.

Misuzu
Regular

#9 Post by Misuzu »

PyTom wrote:(maybe visualnews will be interested, in conjunction with NaNoRenO?).
Gomen, it's not really the front page kind of thing. For that matter, a lot of the oel and other subdomains of VisualNews never make it to the front page >.>;;...

Your welcome to make an entry on the Gemot though if you would like. Try to spur some convertees from the translation scene with purtty new features =P xD.

pheriannath
Regular

#10 Post by pheriannath »

It's fortunate that I chose to explore the Lemma Soft forums - I'd never have known about Ren'Py 6 otherwise. I assure you, this is one piece of news I would have wanted to know about, especially with NaNoRenO up and about.

You say Ren'Py 6 is even easier to use than earlier versions? I found Ren'Py 5.6.7 quite friendly actually, I can't wait to see just how much friendlier it gets :)

Misuzu
Regular

#11 Post by Misuzu »

When we implement the Mini-News bar in VisualNews revision 4.0.0 (which is sadly, behind schedule already >.>;;), I would love to have all kinds of OEL news fed to me. The the minibar is going to be like a mini verison our our current news section that will cover anything that is not related to Japanese translation of visual novels but is still in the general visual novel scope. That way people can get information about new stuff happening with visual novels in Japan, and now, OEL news through it too, and those who frankly don't want to know or don't care, wont have it "polluting" the primary news section.

PyTom in NJ

#12 Post by PyTom in NJ »

pheriannath wrote:You say Ren'Py 6 is even easier to use than earlier versions? I found Ren'Py 5.6.7 quite friendly actually, I can't wait to see just how much friendlier it gets :)
Actually. 6.0.0 is basically the same as 5.6.7. The improvements are relative to the 5.5 series, which lacked many of the new things.

Fawkes - Feathered Melody
Regular

#13 Post by Fawkes - Feathered Melody »

Awesome. Just updated to v6.0.0 with no problems
Writer / Programmer
Crows Project: Released 12/15/07
Noctua: In Development. Demo 3 released.
Project Silk Road: Planning/Story Construction
"Live while awake. Live while dreaming."
We have a [new] website again!

Senpai88

#14 Post by Senpai88 »

I actually think I found a bug a little while ago. This function doesn't seem to work. Ren'Py doesn't recognize it as a valid configuration function.
$ config.has_skip_after_choices = False

I double and triple (and quandruple) checked my spelling, spacing, etc. I also tried some other functions to make sure I was typing things in right, such as...
$ config.has_skipping = False

$ config.has_cps = False

$ config.has_afm = False
They all work fine.

Is this a bug, or am I just missing something? Anyone else care to test this?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#15 Post by PyTom »

Documentation problem. The name is really config.has_skip_after_choice.

Sorry about that.