Releasing games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
alshapton
Regular

Releasing games

#1 Post by alshapton »

I have constructed my game in various versions of Ren'Py and upgraded thru' the versions 5.5.4, 5.5.x etc etc with no difficulty. I have also "obfuscated" my game as stated in the old tutorial (somewhere on the web says how to do this but I cant find it now) - basically taking the rpyc files and the renpy.code file, etc etc and constructing a WIndows installer around those files.

Upgrading to 6.1.0 again posed no problem - the game runs from within the launcher, but obfuscating in the same way as previous versions causes a traceback to complain about a directory structure and not able to find bootstrap.rpy

What am I doing wrong ?

Also, in previous versions, renpy.code is around 5Mb, but in this release, it is only 3Mb (approx sizes here!!!). This seems to suggest that there are functions now NOT implemented in renpy.code, but in other modules somewhere else.

Question is, how does this change my release mechanism, and what do I need to package with my game to get it working again?

Appreciate (as always) PyTom's work and all the others on this forum.

Andrew

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Older versions of Ren'Py duplicated the contents of the renpy/ directory inside renpy.code. This was wasteful, so I don't do that anymore... Instead, you should ship the renpy/ directory as part of your game.

(This is the directory that contains bootstrap.py (not .rpy))
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

alshapton
Regular

Another record !

#3 Post by alshapton »

Fixed !!!!!

A record for PyTom - 8 minutes !!!

Thanks!!!!!