re: On Asking Questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

Re: On Asking Questions

#46 Post by cosmo »

Hi NeoSota9! – I'm not sure if this is the right thread for your question…

And I am also not sure where your problem actually is: You can share it by E-Mail, by something like dropbox or by a hoster… and there are tons of other possibilities. How to do this? Well: one can build a distributional package with ren'py. This will produce a packed file that can be unpacked, played and edited. The way is the same as building the end product. It's just only a 'work in progress'. (Don't archive files before if you want to take a look inside). This package can be shared.

Optimizing: Your file may be a lot smaller if you both installed renpy and you simply exchange the folder of the project. - And if there are only a few graphics or maybe just the text srcipt the easiest way will be to use e-mail attachment for the script.rpy file. I hope I caught your problem!
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

Variasaber
Completed: Ex Nihilo Unum (http://users.wpi.edu/~bmoriarty/imgd100 ... loUnum.rar)
Organization: 12000 Bombs

#47 Post by Variasaber »

tpgames wrote:I just want to say that how this forum is ran as far as getting help, asking questions, posting and all is of a format I LOVE! Its not rules based, but instead people based. :D 8)
I second this! I have been on many forums from many sources over the past several years, and this one has been one of the most welcoming forums I've ever posted on.
fathskie wrote:Hello! Sorry to jump in! I have a basic question and I'm reluctant to start a new topic because it's so basic... but it's bugging me...
Don't be shy to create a topic! The people here are very understanding. The first thing I did after registering was create a topic asking for help, and it was resolved within a day.

Scarlet-Kokoro
Regular
Projects: Imitation Heart(模倣心)-Otome For the Love of Cocoa-Short-Otome VN

#48 Post by Scarlet-Kokoro »

After you start the game your character's dialogue and the text appear on a basic see-through black screen at the bottom of the window. Is it possible to change that box to match the theme you chose for your game?

For example: my theme is Autsen with Urban Sprawl. Could someone please tell me how to get the dialogue box to look like the menu box when you first launch the game? I've looked at the RenPy help and... I have no idea how to do it.... If this question is too confusing please let me know.
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?"

Projects:

Immitation Heart: Script: 40% Characters: 50% CGs: 0%
For the Love of Cocoa: In first draft stages

droopy
Projects: things just for fun

#49 Post by droopy »

Scarlet-Kokoro wrote:After you start the game your character's dialogue and the text appear on a basic see-through black screen at the bottom of the window. Is it possible to change that box to match the theme you chose for your game?

For example: my theme is Autsen with Urban Sprawl. Could someone please tell me how to get the dialogue box to look like the menu box when you first launch the game? I've looked at the RenPy help and... I have no idea how to do it.... If this question is too confusing please let me know.
Hi hi, it's usually easiest if you make a new thread when you have a question, after searching the forums for an already existing answer :)

But to answer your question anyway, here's a good tutorial on text box: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=8&t=9233
And here's information about opacity if you want that: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=8&t=4705 (the topic is about buttons but the opacity hex works anywhere)

Hope that help you a little :D

Poet

#50 Post by Poet »

I finished the game and tried to release it, but I'm stuck at part creating the executable file. Honestly, I'm not good these stuff, I don't understand what you want me to do in that part >_<.

Onepeicefan1992

#51 Post by Onepeicefan1992 »

how would i go about making my own game, would i need to collect a team of people to work with?

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#52 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

The basics of a game would be programming, art, and story. Often sound and music are popular too.
You need to decide which of these you can do yourself, which you can get free (with permission), and which you need help with.

If you have a skill but are not sure how to get started, perhaps you can help someone else with their project? You'll be surprised how much you can learn that way.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Kanade

#53 Post by Kanade »

Hello. I'm translating a VN (it's my first project by the way) and I've already translated everything so far, except the main menu. There are three words; Start, Quit and the name of the game. Where can I translate them? Or are those pictures? If so, then where can I find them? Thanks in advance.

Edit: The game uses Ren'Py engine so I thought it's the right topic but if not, then feel free to tell me.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

#54 Post by Ryue »

The main menu buttons are in the screen.rpy file (lines 204+) You just need to change the valures in the paranthesis thus ("QUIT") to ("MYTEXT")

Kanade

#55 Post by Kanade »

I already know it but thanks anyway. It's the game menu, and I want to translate the main menu. The main menu is the first menu that appears after you start the game, on the other hand, the game menu is in the game, as its name says.

Edit: I've already found my answer so I'll write it here for those who have the same problem. There is a 'data.rpa' file in the 'game' folder, that's it.

Edit2: Okay, I have another problem. Well, it's not entirely different, though. I can extract files from 'data.rpa', but how can I add or change them? I extracted some pictures, edited them, and when I wanted to add them I found myself blankly staring at the monitor... I'd appreciate if someone can tell me how to change/add files to 'data.rpa'.

reijiphantom

#56 Post by reijiphantom »

On the subject of forum "etiquette", is there like a rule of thumb for the amount of questions you can ask in a certain amount of time? Of course searching the forum gives many answers that you need, but I often find it hard to formulate a question in such a general way that it yields the results I need in the search engine. Because I am an amateur in programming at best and I am currently working on a project partly to find out the many different possibilities of Ren'py, I tend to run into a lot of rather simple problems that I find hard to find an answer to, while it is relatively easy to post the exact question on the forum.
So, to prevent myself from flooding a Q&A forum I was just wondering if there is some sort of limit of this kind.

Does that make sense?

apricotorange
Veteran

#57 Post by apricotorange »

If you're worried about posting too many questions, the best rule of thumb is just make sure that you've made a serious attempt to figure it out on your own, and that you take the time to compose your question so that it's clear. Don't worry about the raw number of questions.

PsychoNexus

#58 Post by PsychoNexus »

I have a question, i want to make the character fall down but i didn't find it anywhere and how to make the screen shake ?

Thanks in advance.

barsunduk
Regular
Completed: «Crystal City», «Mega City», «Kilmonger», «Neuronaut», «Love, Death & Veggies», «Arrow Tourney», «Big Red Hood: Halloween», «Succubus Throne»
Projects: «Swordsman Tourney», «This Tiny Galaxy»
Organization: 7DOTS
itch: 7dots

#59 Post by barsunduk »

PsychoNexus wrote:i want to make the character fall down but i didn't find it anywhere and how to make the screen shake ?
fall down:

Code: Select all

hide PsychoNexus with moveoutbottom
shake:
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... ake_effect

Thedarkjoa
Regular

#60 Post by Thedarkjoa »

Can I put an admob ads apk RenPy? ... As I do?