re: On Asking Questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
herenvardo
Veteran

Re: On Asking Questions

#16 Post by herenvardo »

monele wrote:Why not enforce the fact a solved topic should have "solved" added to it? It should be the OP's job, but if not done, it should be asked by people who notice it's missing... and if the OP has sadly disappeared, it should be done by an admin.

And then, when a topic is solved, it could also be closed or at least someone should clearly demand a new topic if there's a new question. It's strict, but it would make searching for things easier in the long run ^^

Thoughts?
I am a regular at MSDN forums, and there is a system there like what you are suggesting. Looking at what they are using there, and trying to figure out how would (or wouldn't) it work here, these are my thoughts:

- When you get a reply notification by e-mail from MSDN, the message reminds you to mark the post as an answer if it answers your question. Also, whenever a post in a thread you're watching is marked as a good answer, you get a notification as well.
- I generally receive as many notifications of answers marked by the original poster as by admins; which leads to think that only around a half of the users there mark the answers they receive.
- Lots of users, and specially most admins, have something like "remember to mark good answers to your questions as such", and there are also reminders on the posting page and many other places... yet half of users do not mark the answers.

In summary: if LSF had as many resources as MS does, and hence could pay full-time admins to review and mark posts or threads as appropriate, then this approach would be a good idea. But knowing that LSF is mostly based on the voluntary work of people running it; it can't be compared with the wealthiest software vendor in the world.
The idea itself is not bad, it's just that for it to work here it would require admins to commit with ~30h/day of work.

If the user can do something wrong, s/he'll do something even worse. (Murphy's law, applied to Computing)
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

Foxys

#17 Post by Foxys »

Hi!
My question is: How can I delete saved games?
because when I make the launcher, this is with saved games....

sorry for my.... awful english....

Aang
Regular
Projects: Gen'sou shrine

#18 Post by Aang »

Alex

#19 Post by Alex »

Try to delete savefiles from "saves" folder manually and then make a distribution of your project

Foxys

#20 Post by Foxys »

didn't exist a "folder" nadem "save" but i fin a way to delete averithing I just chage the adress of the "static" memory in options :D

thanx

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#21 Post by JQuartz »

Foxys wrote:because when I make the launcher, this is with saved games....
I'm pretty sure that the save files are only on your computer. If you run it from another computer, your saved game won't be available. The save files are not packed within the distribution, it's the original's saved files. If you rewrite a save using your original, the change would be reflected in the extracted distribution even if you made the distribution before rewriting the save.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Foxys
Projects: YCD... en proseso :3

#22 Post by Foxys »

Thanx! a lot....

but I have another question...

I again want to know how I can make a template of characters with the current characteristics (like: the objects he has, or how many points of "mind" or "force" has and can raise this attribute points from the image shown in screen as they games Science Girls! or Spirited Heart

again... sorry for my english... but ir realy appreciate your help!

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#23 Post by JQuartz »

Foxys wrote:I again want to know how I can make a template of characters with the current characteristics
This isn't the same way as Science Girls! or Spirited Heart but it's the simplest:

Code: Select all

init:
    $ player_hp=10
label start:
    menu:
        "Raise hp by 10":
            $ player_hp+=10
        "Lower hp by 10":
            $ player_hp-=10
    "Player HP=%(player_hp)s"
    jump start
Science Girls! and Spirited Heart probably use classes(python stuff so you'll need to have some programming skills). Read here about it:http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python_e ... ng#Classes
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Foxys

#24 Post by Foxys »

Yes thanx but I think I can't say the correct question.... let me try again

I already know about programin on "C" "C++" and "php" but is the first time I do somthing whit Python so I already know about classes structs and variables.... i just need some help to get used to de "grafics" of the environment... I like to show the "stats" (that I already config in de code) like puting on the top left of the window a button that jump to a window that shows a pic of the character and de stats... AND let the player up some Skill points by "clicking" on some grafic buttons of the window..... Oh my good.... I hope you undertend my english... and I realy hope you can guide my to some tutorial where I can learn some tips about this kind of windows

realy realy thax!!!

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by JQuartz »

Foxys wrote:like puting on the top left of the window a button that jump to a window that shows a pic of the character and de stats
You can use overlay for this:http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/reference/Overlays

Foxys wrote:AND let the player up some Skill points by "clicking" on some grafic buttons of the window.
You can use either ui.imagebutton or ui.imagemap (read this about ui:http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... _Functions)

Code: Select all

init:
    $ player_hp=10
    $ in_stats=False

python:
        def player_stats_button_overlay():
            if not in_stats:
                ui.textbutton("Stats", clicked=ui.callsinnewcontext("stat_window"))
        config.overlay_functions.append(player_stats_button_overlay)

label stat_window:
    $ in_stats=True
    $ ui.vbox()
    $ ui.image("player_image.png")
    $ ui.text("Player HP="+str(player_hp))
    $ ui.textbutton("+", ui.jumps("add_stats")) #you can use imagebutton instead if you want to use images
    $ ui.textbutton("Return to game", ui.returns("returns"))
    $ ui.close()
    $ ui.interact()
    $ in_stats=False
    return

label add_stats:
    $ player_hp+=10
    jump stat_window

Foxys

#26 Post by Foxys »

I love you! XD

rimir
Regular
Projects: Only test projects

#27 Post by rimir »

Why is this here in this thread ?

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#28 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I agree. It should be put up on the Wiki. :)

Don't be so quick to snap, rimir... the top of this very page was even talking about new users asking wrong questions in the wrong forum. All users (new and old!) should be handled gently, politely, and—if possible—helpfully.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Foxys

#29 Post by Foxys »

tanks... I'm sorry ... I will try to ask in the rigth place .. :roll: :oops:

tohtamish
Regular

#30 Post by tohtamish »

My last ren'py version doesnt work any more :(
Always get standart windows error when truing to launch ren'py:

" - search solution in internet
- close program

and in additioanal info:

name of problem event: APPCRASH
app name: renpy.exe
name of error module: StackHash_7612
exception code: c0000005"

Googled my error, made all found tips, nothing helps. Added all exe-files of ren'py dirs to Vista DEP exceptions, updated java and cleared java cashe. Nothing helps. Win vista 32 OEM (also read, it can happen on pirates' OS versions). There was nothing special on my pc that can cause such problem. No any programs were installed or removed, no any dangerous sites were visited, only standart daily e-mail check.
:(

All I can do is download "clear" version (its weird, but it works!), retype my project again, edit for some time - until get described error, and download "new" ren'py again, copy-paste project, and so on...