On Asking Questions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

On Asking Questions

#1 Post by PyTom »

Subjects. When asking questions about Ren'Py, please chose a descriptive subject. Recently, we've been getting a number of topics with titles like:

- I'm asking another Ren'Py question
- I have a question...
- A couple of Ren'Py questions...

This makes it hard for people to determine what a topic is about, and also makes it somewhat hard to remember if the topic has been adequately answered.

Please, take a moment to try and pick a subject that describes what your question is about. Doing this will help us answer your question, and will help other people decide if your problem is the same as one they've been having.

This is generally good advice on any technical forum on the internet.

Tracebacks. If you're using Ren'Py and a problem causes a traceback.txt or errors.txt to appear, please copy the contents of these files into your error report. These files contain a lot of information that can be used to help us pinpoint your problem. Without it, we have to guess, which is often inefficient.

Source code. If the error message mentions lines in your script file, please attach the file to your message, or copy in the appropriate lines. This will help us to diagnose what's wrong.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

kuroshirushi

How to display specific words or phrases in Japanese font when I want it to?

#2 Post by kuroshirushi »

Ok so I'm kinda new to ren'py and I'm trying to get my game to display Japanese fonts but only when I want it to. The game is in English but I want a specific word or phrases to be said in Japanese in the dialogue. For example, if I wanted a phrase to be said like "悪因悪果" which means “Evil cause, evil effect” which would be said a few times in the game but is later translated and explained because it bares significance to the story. How do I achieve this? Sorry for the long text and I hope I'm making sense.

Trafagal
Regular

Re: How to display specific words or phrases in Japanese font when I want it to?

#3 Post by Trafagal »

kuroshirushi wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:42 pm Ok so I'm kinda new to ren'py and I'm trying to get my game to display Japanese fonts but only when I want it to. The game is in English but I want a specific word or phrases to be said in Japanese in the dialogue. For example, if I wanted a phrase to be said like "悪因悪果" which means “Evil cause, evil effect” which would be said a few times in the game but is later translated and explained because it bares significance to the story. How do I achieve this? Sorry for the long text and I hope I'm making sense.
Hey Kuroshirushi,

Welcome to Renpy~

I think you may want to create a new forum thread as this thread is a sticky thread which Pytom post new things.
Check out some of my stuffs here:https://linktr.ee/theartofjoshlab

Art Portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/theartofjoshlab/

Working on a personal Visual Novel~

kuroshirushi

Re: On Asking Questions

#4 Post by kuroshirushi »

Oh, ok! Sorry I'm new to this but where do go to create a new forum?

Trafagal
Regular

#5 Post by Trafagal »

kuroshirushi wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:06 pm Oh, ok! Sorry I'm new to this but where do go to create a new forum?
No worries, I just chanced on your post, so thought of directing you to the right place.

You can click here viewforum.php?f=8 and on the near top left, there is a button call "New Topic".

Hope it helps.
Check out some of my stuffs here:https://linktr.ee/theartofjoshlab

Art Portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/theartofjoshlab/

Working on a personal Visual Novel~

LeadingXtreme

#6 Post by LeadingXtreme »

File "game/script.rpy" line 56: identation mismatch

28 menu:
30 m "So, who should I try first?"
32 "Talk to the shy nerd":
34 jump shy
36 "Talk to friendly girl":
38 jump friendly
40 "Talk to the alpha bully":
42 jump bully
44 "Talk to the teacher":
46 jump teacher
50 label shy:
51 m "Hello, Im sorry for interrupting your lecture, your name is Grace, right?"
52 d "Um... yes, Im Grace, can I help you with something?"
53 m "Yes you can, if it isn't a bother to you obviously. I want you to help me with my grades, you are a really clever girl"
54 d "Well... I don't really know how to help you, I have good grades but I've never tried to teach someone before"
55 d "And I don't comunicate very well with people I don't know. Sorry"
56 menu:
58 m "I should invent something to make her be in confidence with me"
60 "Do you like anime?":
62 jump negative
64 "Do you like videogames?":
66 jump positive
68 "Do you like comics?":
70 jump negative

Lesnik23rus

Is it possible to make such a game in RenPy?

#7 Post by Lesnik23rus »

Hello! Would you be so kind to tell me if it is possible to use this awesome engine for something like this:
​[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fz-dV_zy0&t=1s[/youtube]
The requests have increased, but I really like this engine, so I would not like to change it

bloobeary
Regular
Deviantart: bloobeary
Soundcloud: user-212448702

#8 Post by bloobeary »

Is there a specific place to send bug reports and feature requests?

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#9 Post by Ocelot »

Github issues page would be the best place for that:
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues

For bugs it is often better to post code causing issues on forum first for others to confirm bug, or tell if it is expected behavior.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

TherealSpottyboi
itch: Spottyboi

#10 Post by TherealSpottyboi »

I'm coding a game and trying to code in a currencey. The current name is just "bully".
It's coding in the same way I did for affection points (Affection points has been working from here.)
How affection is coded in: %_aff = 0
How "bully" is coded in: %_bully = 0
I have a situation that requires "bully" ("if _bully <=0:, if _bully >0) . I am playtesting that the code, and am getting an error code saying that "_bully is not defined."
How can I fix this?
btw I'm using atom
Also if you need me to elaborate on something i will. I'm still new to coding in general so I don't really know all the technical terms of everything! Sorry about that haha

Hellothere

#11 Post by Hellothere »

i dont know how to delete this, but i figured out what was wrong