Does Ren'Py support Live 2D?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

Does Ren'Py support Live 2D?

#1 Post by latte »

Self-explanatory title. I've got a fully planned story and some characters designs at this point, and so game development itself will start shortly. I'm thinking about using Live 2D technology (or something similar). Can you incorporate it into a game, and if not, is there any plan of making it available? Thank you very much.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Does Ren'Py support Live 2D?

#2 Post by PyTom »

I don't know anything about live2d. Is there a link to more information? Is it open?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

latte
Regular

#3 Post by latte »

Hi there. It's a relatively new animation technique where you can make animations based on 2D graphics. Not frame-by-frame, here's a video that shows it:
http://youtu.be/YrLnF7CQ8Ac

Product site: http://www.live2d.jp/
I think there may be other software, but this is the one I know. It has both free-to-use and paid versions, and commercial use is allowed.

http://youtu.be/9Csp_FoDRTY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28AqBYhSRMw examples of VNs using this technique, though I believe the first doesn't use Live2D itself.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

From what I can gather from my very limited Japanese, it seems that this software is not free, and there is no English version as of yet.

I'm playing around with a "free" version of the modeller at the moment, and it has a 30 day time limit.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

latte
Regular

#5 Post by latte »

初回起動から30日間はスタンダード版と同等の機能が使える試用版として動作します。
30日間を過ぎますとフリー版になります。
"For 30 days starting from the first execution, it runs as a trial version with the same functions as the standard one.
After 30 days it becomes the free version."

Even if there is no English version yet, it does exist for free, also I believe similar software is either out or in development by various companies.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

I'd be curious if a tool like this could export to a filmstrip or something. If it could do that, integrating it would be simple.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#7 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Ahh, I misunderstood.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

latte
Regular

#8 Post by latte »

According to the site, the animations can be exported as either .gif or a QuickTime animation codec (I think), and there are plans to make .avi available, so is there a way to use video or animation as character sprites?

@TrickWithAKnife The trial version still exports images with the logo, though, but there are no size or tool limitations.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

Can someone export the animations, please? Especially in the quicktime format. I'd be interested in seeing if I can put together a converter that would let this be used as a sprite.

Kinsman
Regular

#10 Post by Kinsman »

It looks like the general idea is to take a series of 2D layers, superimpose a polygon mesh on them, and then animate the mesh.

I heard that PyTom is planning to make Ren'Py's rendering pure OpenGL sometime in the future (was it after the next release?) If that happens, some third-party programmer could possibly write a custom displayable that could handle Live2D's file format.

Tom, do you think there would be an "arbitrary OpenGL" displayable in Ren'Py sometime?
Last edited by Kinsman on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread

Kinsman
Regular

#11 Post by Kinsman »

PyTom wrote:Can someone export the animations, please? Especially in the quicktime format. I'd be interested in seeing if I can put together a converter that would let this be used as a sprite.
It looks like you create a model out of the 2D image, that has a number of pose sliders for tilting the head, blinking, etc.
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#12 Post by nyaatrap »

It says standard version allows to export filmstrip png in any size. Price isn't high considering it's a pro model. When I done my current developing game which fully animated with ATL (will be done within 2 months). I'd check it and see if I can use it in the future.

Klokinator
Projects: Phoenix Emblem: Heirs to Destruction

#13 Post by Klokinator »

Not gonna lie, being able to use this in visual novels would be ridiculously awesome. Sure, the example anime girl they used was a tad creepy, but with a little programming I'm sure she would have been more adorable than anything.
My Visual Novel is titled: "Phoenix Emblem; Heir to Destruction".

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#14 Post by RunicV »

Random and not really useful, but the Tokimeki games have been using that for a while now. I'm not sure what engine they use, but eh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

(And I'm bumping because I'd like to know how to do this, too. *runs away because she has contributed absolutely nothing to the thread*)
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#15 Post by netravelr »

Yeah, I actually talked to those guys and was integrating it at one time, but live2d is something made for use with Flash, at least when I was on it. Does look pretty awesome though, and with artists working with it, could bring their projects up to the next level. I'd be very interested in seeing this working with RenPy games.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash