[Announcement] New game - Ross and his Cool Trip to School

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
alshapton
Regular

[Announcement] New game - Ross and his Cool Trip to School

#1 Post by alshapton »

Hi I've finally finished it !

This is an educational story-board style game for 5 to 7 year old children to help then learn about road safety. The game features Ross as he tries to get to school safely and the different types of danger that he faces on the way.

It's not a "game" in the true sense of the genre, but it is a useful tool for teaching, as it is based on a book about Ross (a real person!).

Narration is provided, as are sound effects, and a scoring system.

I have also used Ren'py as a loader - a spash screen on an auto-running CD prompts the user to either run, or install (depending on choice).

I cant put a copy for download, as my local council hold the copyright on the characters, so should I formally announce it and put some screen shots on the "games" page (if so - how do I do this?) or what ?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Well, I think that if you upload some screenshots here, some kind soul would update the website. Also, if you have a webpage, or there's some kind of contact for people who want to license the game, people might be interested in that.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

alshapton
Regular

#3 Post by alshapton »

That'll be great -
for a descripton, see my first post - for a contact (a web page should be up in a week or so) use alshapton@hotmail.com

The license is commercial (as the development is being paid for by the local authority) - licensing agreements can be negotiated (reasonably!!!!!)

PSA screenshots
Attachments
shot1.PNG

alshapton
Regular

#4 Post by alshapton »

shot number 2 of 4
Attachments
shot2.PNG

alshapton
Regular

#5 Post by alshapton »

shot 3 of 4
Attachments
shot3.PNG

alshapton
Regular

#6 Post by alshapton »

shot 4 of 4
Attachments
shot4.PNG

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by monele »

Awww, I really wanted to "play" this one ^^;... It looks really interesting and well done :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

alshapton, an official website would really really be helpful ^_^.

Yay, March 2007 has been a most kick-ass month for Ren'Py games!

alshapton
Regular

#9 Post by alshapton »

All:
Many thanks for your comments - I will try and sort out a website of sorts soon -

as to playing it - would a soundless version do ?
Its a commercial product and the sound bloats it to approximately 40+Mb of installation - anyone know of a hosting site that deals with 40+Mb downloads ?

Of course I could try and down-sample the sound to reduce the space required (.....maybe..... :-) )

The product's licensing arrangements are not in place yet, apart from use within the local authority's area (i.e. schools) - so if anyone wants to licensse it to their own local authority, we can talk (in conjunction with my own local authority) to see what the t&c are.........

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

Doublecheck with the copyright owner first (yeah that's the main thing with working on commission). You are not obligated to provide a sample / trial of the game in this community, although doing so will let PyTom and others know how exactly Ren'Py is being used. I will link to the site regardless, and who knows it might actually become a most visited site -- for a county! :D

Actually, I have been thinking about it some more, plus my own experience with county public schools. True, it was the beginning of the internet back then. But I never checked out their webpages...bake sales and blood drives aren't exactly the most interesting topics on the web you know :wink: It's different with universities since you have to get all coursework materials online, since the instructor can't be bothered with distributing everything in lecture.

It seems this may be the type of product to be packaged in an orientation CD for parents. If that's the case, everything needed will have to reside in-cd. If it will be a hassle to create a website for it when it's not really needed, then maybe don't have to.

Instead, can you provide a link to the .gov (or .edu?) trunk site of the local authority that commissioned this work?

Thanks!

pls note the message has been edited multiple times. this notes the end of editing

alshapton
Regular

Website is up

#11 Post by alshapton »

I have put up a website -

http://www.geocities.com/rossandhiscooltriptoschool

It has some basic information about the game and a flash-based demo (created with "wink" - thanks PyTom!!)

Its basic but its a start!