Ideas on creating a sort of "moving tunnel effect?"

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tigersmurf
Regular
Projects: From Innocence

Ideas on creating a sort of "moving tunnel effect?"

#1 Post by tigersmurf »

So, as the title suggests, I'm trying to create a sense of very fast motion with one of my backgrounds. I have some ideas, but I'm very interested in hearing other thoughts before I commit to something solidly. This is for a project I've spent almost a month on and will announce it in the works in progress section very shortly :)

So, if you wanted to create the illusion of fast motion, (like from the front seat of a race car or aircraft) what might you try?

I have considered using a simple motion blur on the bg, of course, but I'm not sure it's the right effect.

Then I thought of doing an ATL animated background with a sort of tunnel-vision look.

Ideas? Thoughts?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Ideas on creating a sort of "moving tunnel effect?"

#2 Post by SundownKid »

I'd probably make 2 versions of the background, each with a different level of motion blur or speed lines, and switch between then to make it look like the camera is moving. Either that, or make it parallax instead like a side-scrolling game.

tigersmurf
Regular
Projects: From Innocence

#3 Post by tigersmurf »

Thanks for the feedback. I was definitely thinking of doing something along those lines. I just want to make sure before I make the new backgrounds that I'm doing it the most efficient way.

ultramooz

#4 Post by ultramooz »

I would use speed lines too, concentric if you want to suggest moving forward. The motion-blur or radial-blur effect in photoshop can be useful too : usually I make a copy of the background, blur it, and put it over the original one with a little transparency.

Finding an anime scene where they use this effect would be useful to check how they achieve the effect ( like Naruto or One piece, which are easy to find on youtube ).
But with only two or three different sets of lines rapidly switching, you should already achieve the illusion of movement.

Hope it helps.

CaseyLoufek
Regular
Projects: Bliss Stage, Orbital Knights

#5 Post by CaseyLoufek »

I'd run a zoom in on an image that's a bit larger than resolution so it doesn't pixelate and use a tunnel particle woosh coming from the center. I can probably make a mock-up example if it helps. I've been doing some Ren'py particle systems for explosions and smoke already and I have an idea how to get a moving forward effect.