'show text "xxxx"' in python ?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ihentai

'show text "xxxx"' in python ?

#1 Post by ihentai »

How to convert from ren'py

Code: Select all

show text "xxxx"
PS I don't know how i should generate a image object from text....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

You can create a Text object. This is a displayable, which can be used like any other displayable, and shows text with a font.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

thetext = Text("My text!")
renpy.show("mytext", [Position(xpos=.5, ypos=.5, xanchor=0.5, yanchor=0.5)], what=thetext)
That's python code, so you should either put this in a python block or add "$" in of each line.
The first line creates a new variable which holds a Text object. The text object contains the text "My text!".
The second line shows a sprite named "mytext" at the center of the screen using the previously created object (what=thetext).

Just differenciate the object variable (thetext) and the sprite (mytext) and you'll be good ^^.

Just as an example, once displayed, you'll want to do this to make it disappear :

renpy.hide("mytext")

Also, a note for savegames... You don't have to define "thetext" in some init block. You can define this just when you need it, right in the story script. BUT... that means it will be considered as something new/changed and will be saved. Therefore, try to reuse "thetext" variable as much as possible so it only saves *one* thing.

Good example :

thetext = Text("something")
thetext2 = Text("something else")
thetext = Text("Still something else, reusing thetext!")
Bad exemple in my opinion :

thetext = Text("something")
othertext = Text("balbla")
anothertext = Text("...")
etc...

ihentai

#4 Post by ihentai »

monele wrote:

thetext = Text("My text!")
renpy.show("mytext", [Position(xpos=.5, ypos=.5, xanchor=0.5, yanchor=0.5)], what=thetext)
Thanks !!!! That really describes a renpy.show behavior ! I cannot figure that way of using it it from documentation. It was here - but the formal way of docs description stop me from understanding.

So - that piece of code MUST :) go into doc for renpy.show function !!!