Ren'Py Launcher and Scite with Windows 98

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
KyuKuru

Ren'Py Launcher and Scite with Windows 98

#1 Post by KyuKuru »

I am having problems with the launcher (Ren'Py 6.0) using Scite under windows 98. The "edit script" button does not work, and errors in the script are not shown after clicking the "launch" button- instead the game simply fails to load for seemingly no reason. It seems that the launcher is unable to start the scite program in Windows 98. Could you please fix this (or offer some alternative to viewing errors), as debugging a script without the aid of error warnings and accompanying line numbers is rather difficult.

Thanks

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Try downloading the attached file, and sticking it in the renpy-6.1.1 directory. If that doesn't work, try moving it into the renpy-6.1.1/renpy directory, and trying again.

You can also try running console.exe, which ships with Ren'Py. It wouldn't let scite work, but it will let you see the errors.
Attachments

[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

miriam
Regular

#3 Post by miriam »

Sorry to say, didn't solve it on my machine. I have the same problem of trying to open the editor on one of my machines running Windows98 -- haven't succeeded in running renpy on my Puppy Linux machines yet. Until then I'm stuck with using Windows98. :(
Last edited by miriam on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My current, and first, RenPy story: A Loving Soul
script: 100% -- scenes: 100% -- character art: 20% -- programming: 20%
(spoilers in the story of the same name on my website)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Hm... I think I'm going to have to dig back and see if I can find a win9x install cd, so I can put together a vmware image. Didn't think I'd be using one of those again.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

miriam
Regular

#5 Post by miriam »

Sorry about the bother, PyTom. It is not such a problem for me as I simply open the files in a text editor myself. I'd prefer to use it on Linux anyway, which hopefully I'll succeed in tomorrow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

miriam
Regular

#6 Post by miriam »

It just occurs to me that I should have mentioned that if I leave the standard definition of the editor in editor.rpy as pointing to scite.exe then the "Edit Script" button shows up in the launcher interface, however when pressed it reports that it launched the script files in the editor, and nothing actually happens.

On the other hand, if I define the editor as an empty string, then as expected the button disappears from the interface, but if an error occurs when I'm trying to run my script then the errors.txt files pops up in my standard text editor.

I hope this helps make sense of what is happening without having to go to a lot of trouble. :)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _