Numerous errors with Renpy 6.15.2 and earlier versions on XP

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Agheptonygm

Numerous errors with Renpy 6.15.2 and earlier versions on XP

#1 Post by Agheptonygm »

Hi, I'm trying to run Renpy 6.15.2 (and earlier, 6.13.12) on a Windows XP SP3 machine. I'm getting some very weird errors, and I can't find any mention of them elsewhere on the boards. I'm starting to get a bit panicky; I don't know why I'm the only one getting this stuff.

All the errors seem to base themselves around the text-editor integration function, for either Editra or jEdit.

If I try to choose either of these in the Preferences screen, Renpy tries to automatically download them. The screen says it's downloading updates, then nothing happens, the blue progress bar never even shows itself.

At least, I thought nothing was happening - but I have NetWorx installed to monitor incoming/outgoing network traffic, and Renpy is downloading something in the order of 4MB/sec. After some minutes of waiting to see if it would do anything, I checked NetWorx and found that Renpy had downloaded 500MB+ of goodness-knows-what - for a supposedly-22-MB editor program. Nothing eventuated, though, and I gave up trying any further as I have limited bandwidth with my ISP and didn't want a huge bill at the end of the month.

The official Renpy site says if you have problems downloading from within Renpy, to try manually downloading the editor and placing it in the Renpy directory. I tried that with jEdit. Renpy manifestly ignored it and tried to auto-download it again when I tried to select it as my editor.

So, I set jEdit as the editor of choice for .rpy files in Windows, and selected 'System Editor' in Renpy. Lo and behold, it opened jEdit, with the correct syntax highlighting and everything. I was overjoyed - until I tried opening any of my scripts. Here's what happened: All files were blank, and it also opened some that didn't exist. For instance, asking it to open script.rpy from the main Renpy launcher resulted in one window of jEdit with FIVE files open: My.rpy, Puppy.rpy, Renpy.rpy, Love.rpy, Script.rpy. (The title of the game is Puppy Love - I'm not sure how it patched that into the loader.) All these files were blank. I checked the original .rpy files in Notepad++ to make sure they hadn't been wiped blank; they were fine. Also, Lint parsed them properly and was obviously detecting that they contained legit data. (Opening my scripts in jEdit independently of Renpy worked just fine, but there was no syntax highlighting or indent-indicator lines, or basically anything useful or helpful. If anyone could tell me how to get Renpy's syntax highlighting in jEdit without using Renpy, I'd just do it standalone. ;_; )

Worse, was when I tried to open "all script files" from the Renpy launcher. This result in a minute-long lag and TWENTY-SIX separate instances of jEdit, each containg four or five tabs of nonsensically titled, blank .rpy files.

Oh, okay - UPDATE. I was trying to reproduce these bugs while typing this mammoth post, and now, even after reinstalling, Renpy is utterly broken. Asking it to open any script file, or change an editor-related preference, results in an error window, screenshot below. Lint works; launching the actual game works, perplexingly; everything else seems irreparably borked.

Attached below is the error I keep seeing now, or variations thereof. The "cannot display None as text" bit is the only bit I keep getting; the rest of the error message varies.
renpyerror.JPG

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Numerous errors with Renpy 6.15.2 and earlier versions o

#2 Post by nyaatrap »

I know one of those error. j-edit can't read space separated file names and folder names. So you need to rename "Puppy Love.rpy" to "Puppy_Love.rpy" or something to open them directly in j-edit.

Agheptonygm

#3 Post by Agheptonygm »

Ah, but that's the thing - there isn't even a Puppy Love.rpy, like I said above. It's just the title of the game - I never named any of my files that. Also, my filenames already use underlines instead of spaces; I do that as a matter of habit anyway.

My files are: options.rpy, screens.rpy, script.rpy, pl3_char.rpy, pl3_sets.rpy, pl3_talk.rpy, pl3_train.rpy, pl_engine.rpy.

However, you may be right about the folder name itself, now I think about it... Dammit. I should have thought of that. I'll try it. One sec!

Agheptonygm

#4 Post by Agheptonygm »

Oooookay. Weirder problem now. Ren'Py v6.15.2 is perma-broke for me. I've deleted it and reinstalled it twice, including a system restart. But I can't tell it to edit a script, or change the editor, without getting the error message I posted above. What data does Ren'Py store outside of its own directory? Something is surviving my reinstalls, and it's wrecking everything.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

The Ren'Py data is stored in %APPDATA%\Ren'Py\launcher-1.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#6 Post by nyaatrap »

Ah, I now confirmed when I set default ren'py editor as a "system editor but it associated to jEdit", the edit script function opens up tremendous windows instead of tabs :|

Corsa

#7 Post by Corsa »

Someone please help :(
I can't update my jEdit, it keeps going wrong...like having error when update, no matter how many times I try . I have Java installed in my computer ,don't know why...?
I also try to delete and download renpy again and install it repeatly,but still having error :?: