Bug Replications

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Bug Replications

#16 Post by rayminator »

There is something wrong with window show/hide the text and the textbox keep disappearing the textbox stays when using window show but not the text i have seen a couple of posts stating this problem I know there's an option tried everything and there is no change

is window show suppose to show the text and textbox when the image change and during a video showing?
is window hide suppose to hide the text and textbox when the image change and during a video showing?

I hope I make sense on this problem never had this problem with my last game that I done think it was when I used Ren'Py 6.99.14.2

Angelo Seraphim
Regular
Completed: Enamored Risks (NaNoReNo 2020)
Projects: 616 Charagma
Organization: GLSUoA
Deviantart: glsuoa
itch: glsuoa
Discord: Just A Concept#9599

#17 Post by Angelo Seraphim »

I don't know if it's my laptop (MacBook Pro) but I've recently noticed that whenever an animation or during some transitions, when you move the cursor (slow or rapidly), the framerate tanks and gives the illusion that the game is freezing. Does anyone else have this issue?
It also happens when you mouse over an imagebutton that has focus_mask True.

I've also noticed that some image animations like "my_image.png" with Dissolve(5, alpha=True) seem to be bugged. Some of these work as normal but others seem to just flip to the next image without dissolving. I've only noticed it happening when these images are then thrown into Composite . (I think this happens when the composited image is in a screen.)

I'm using RenPy version 7.3.5.606
My OS is Mojave 10.14.6 (Not sure if this really matters. I've always had this OS version but never had this issue with previous versions of RenPy on this.)
My game is still playable, it's just that rapidly moving the cursor causes the framerate to drop and is very noticeable.

I hope this makes sense. And I'll be happy to provide more details if needs be. Thanks. :D

hell_oh_world
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by hell_oh_world »

Angelo Seraphim wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:49 am I don't know if it's my laptop (MacBook Pro) but I've recently noticed that whenever an animation or during some transitions, when you move the cursor (slow or rapidly), the framerate tanks and gives the illusion that the game is freezing. Does anyone else have this issue?
It also happens when you mouse over an imagebutton that has focus_mask True.

I've also noticed that some image animations like "my_image.png" with Dissolve(5, alpha=True) seem to be bugged. Some of these work as normal but others seem to just flip to the next image without dissolving. I've only noticed it happening when these images are then thrown into Composite . (I think this happens when the composited image is in a screen.)

I'm using RenPy version 7.3.5.606
My OS is Mojave 10.14.6 (Not sure if this really matters. I've always had this OS version but never had this issue with previous versions of RenPy on this.)
My game is still playable, it's just that rapidly moving the cursor causes the framerate to drop and is very noticeable.

I hope this makes sense. And I'll be happy to provide more details if needs be. Thanks. :D
Yes, its a thing. The stuttering with ATL also occurs for me. The thing is, this also happens in every renpy game that I played. I noticed that whenever I'm hovering on buttons or onto something the ATL stutters, and its more noticeable when I do it really quickly. I posted this issue in the server before, and I never really able to fix it. I guess its in the engine, the fact that it occurs on every renpy game that I played, especially if the game has large resources or high quality resources, many ATLs etc.

I even attached a video of the issue when I posted that in the server. And I'm telling you its real, I bet this happens to every renpy user! They just dont know it yet or haven't noticed it yet.

emanuel

#19 Post by emanuel »

There's a bug in the 8.0.3 version. And it's pretty darn obvious, because it fails to create a new project from the launcher.
The following error occurs:

Code: Select all

While creating a new project, an error occurred:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '../renpy-projects/Test/game/../renpy-projects/Test/game/script.rpy'
The problem is fairly obvious and easy to solve. The launcher joins the project directory twice. In copy_script() in launcher/game/gui7/code.py it shoud say self.write_target(name) and avoid using dst because write_target() also joins the directory and filename.

I've looked all over the website and I could not find a way to report bugs. Then I remembered this forum. Maybe that's why finding the bugs is difficult.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#20 Post by Ocelot »

emanuel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:34 pm I've looked all over the website and I could not find a way to report bugs. Then I remembered this forum. Maybe that's why finding the bugs is difficult.
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/

TBH it is not so obvious, because neither I, nor ~40 people who uses RenPy 8.0.3 never encountered this bug.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

emanuel

#21 Post by emanuel »

Ocelot wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:03 pm
emanuel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:34 pm I've looked all over the website and I could not find a way to report bugs. Then I remembered this forum. Maybe that's why finding the bugs is difficult.

TBH it is not so obvious, because neither I, nor ~40 people who uses RenPy 8.0.3 never encountered this bug.
I guess most people use it for existing projects, but new users will notice it right away. I've encountered some Reddit posts about it though.

Kaji
Regular
Github: Kaji01
Discord: Kaji#7767

#22 Post by Kaji »

emanuel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:36 pm
Ocelot wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:03 pm

I guess most people use it for existing projects, but new users will notice it right away. I've encountered some Reddit posts about it though.
It must be a PC-only issue, because it hasn't occurred for me on Mac yet

emanuel

#23 Post by emanuel »

Kaji wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:36 pm It must be a PC-only issue, because it hasn't occurred for me on Mac yet
That's strange because it really is just a mistake in the logic of the code, which means it apparently works out by accident on a Mac. In simplified terms the code does this:

file = path + name
file = path + file
write_to(file)

That's an obvious mistake and shouldn't work.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#24 Post by Ocelot »

emanuel wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:06 am
Kaji wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:36 pm It must be a PC-only issue, because it hasn't occurred for me on Mac yet
That's strange because it really is just a mistake in the logic of the code, which means it apparently works out by accident on a Mac. In simplified terms the code does this:

file = path + name
file = path + file
write_to(file)

That's an obvious mistake and shouldn't work.
As I said, I am on 8.0.3.22090809, latest release version. I just created a new project without any problems. I also created projects dozens of time in the last two months (For testing code in Questions). Likewise I know a lot of people who likewise didn't have any problems. So the problem is not affecting everyone.
Are you really on RenPy 8.0.3.22090809? Not a nightly build?
Did you make any changes to default installation configuration?
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

emanuel

#25 Post by emanuel »

Ocelot wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:35 am As I said, I am on 8.0.3.22090809, latest release version. I just created a new project without any problems. I also created projects dozens of time in the last two months (For testing code in Questions). Likewise I know a lot of people who likewise didn't have any problems. So the problem is not affecting everyone.
Are you really on RenPy 8.0.3.22090809? Not a nightly build?
Did you make any changes to default installation configuration?
I just downloaded the release from the website a few days ago. The SDK tar file. Great that it works for you, but the code is incorrect. You can verify this yourself if you look at the code. I even posted how to fix it. I didn't change anything before that.

ahr2000
Github: ahr2000
itch: python

#26 Post by ahr2000 »

Hello when I try to compile in Ren'Py for Android I always get an error with this message.
----------
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809

Updating project.

Creating assets directory.

Packaging internal data.

I'm using Gradle to build the package.
To honour the JVM settings for this build a new JVM will be forked. Please consider using the daemon: https://docs.gradle.org/6.1.1/userguide ... aemon.html.
Daemon will be stopped at the end of the build stopping after processing

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred configuring root project 'app'.
> Could not resolve all artifacts for configuration ':classpath'.
> Could not find bundletool-0.13.2.jar (com.android.tools.build:bundletool:0.13.2).
Searched in the following locations:
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/maven2 ... 0.13.2.jar

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 6s

The build seems to have failed.
--------
How can I fix it????

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#27 Post by Der Tor »

I have something that actually has nothing to do with my game itself, but is a real bug of Ren'Py itself, but I don't know where else to post it, so I post it here. When I go to the Android build section of Ren'Py and click on "Install SDK", I get this:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/android.rpy", line 503, in <module>
  File "game/mobilebuild.rpy", line 198, in call
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'javac'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "launcher/game/android.rpyc", line 501, in script
  File "/home/linux/Downloads/renpy-7.6.1-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 1138, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "/home/linux/Downloads/renpy-7.6.1-sdk/renpy/python.py", line 1122, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/android.rpy", line 503, in <module>
  File "/home/linux/Downloads/renpy-7.6.1-sdk/rapt/buildlib/rapt/install_sdk.py", line 199, in install_sdk
    check_java(interface)
  File "/home/linux/Downloads/renpy-7.6.1-sdk/rapt/buildlib/rapt/install_sdk.py", line 52, in check_java
    if not run_slow(interface, plat.javac, plat.path("buildlib/CheckJDK8.java"), use_path=True):
  File "/home/linux/Downloads/renpy-7.6.1-sdk/rapt/buildlib/rapt/install_sdk.py", line 37, in run_slow
    interface.call(args, cancel=True, **kwargs)
  File "game/mobilebuild.rpy", line 198, in call
  File "/home/tom/ab/nightly-build-fix/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 951, in __init__
  File "/home/tom/ab/nightly-build-fix/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 1821, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'javac'

Linux-6.3.13-060313-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.35 x86_64
Ren'Py 8.1.2.23072003+nightly
Ren'Py Launcher 8.1.2.23072003+nightly
Thu Jul 20 22:48:50 2023

barsunduk
Regular
Completed: «Crystal City», «Mega City», «Kilmonger», «Neuronaut», «Love, Death & Veggies», «Arrow Tourney», «Big Red Hood: Halloween», «Succubus Throne»
Projects: «Swordsman Tourney», «This Tiny Galaxy»
Organization: 7DOTS
itch: 7dots

#28 Post by barsunduk »

renpy.retain_after_load() on 8.1.2 and 8.1.3 is broken (8.1.1 is fine). EXAMPLE

barsunduk
Regular
Completed: «Crystal City», «Mega City», «Kilmonger», «Neuronaut», «Love, Death & Veggies», «Arrow Tourney», «Big Red Hood: Halloween», «Succubus Throne»
Projects: «Swordsman Tourney», «This Tiny Galaxy»
Organization: 7DOTS
itch: 7dots

#29 Post by barsunduk »

renpy-8.2.0.24012001+nightly-sdk
renpy.retain_after_load() works! Thank you very much!
Last edited by barsunduk on Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ijffdrie
Regular
itch: pink-productions

#30 Post by ijffdrie »

As a followup to the conversation in the discord, and in accordance with Barsunduk above me, I'm also having problems with retain_after_load() not working in newer versions. I've been using it as part of the pink engine to ensure you can save during RPG map segments. However, as of version 8.1.2+, ren'py acts as if the statement isn't there. For comparison, here's two different distributions of the engine, with the same code version.

This version was built in ren'py 8.0.3
This version was built in ren'py 8.1.3

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start the game.
2. Walk 2 steps in any direction
3. Save the game
4. Load the game.

Difference:
You'll notice that in the former build, it works fine.
However, if you do it in the latter build, in the latter, it resets the player character to starting position and freezes controls.

Notes:
-This behavior is exactly identical to what happens when I remove the `renpy.exports.retain_after_load()` statement from the map's rendering loop (line 4240 in orthogonal_tiled_map.py).
-I've tried versions 8.1.2 and the nightly 8.2. Both versions display this bug.