need help with Placing sprites.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mirelle
Regular
Projects: The Story of X
Organization: Vocamania

need help with Placing sprites.

#1 Post by mirelle »

I was trying to make the VN I'm working on more interesting by using simple animations to make it look as if the character were interacting.

The problem is with character with a larger sprite width, the "xalign" I was using to move the sprites left and right, would not allow putting a part of the sprite outside the window [a.k.a it forces the full sprite to be inside the window rectangle] which results in a much smaller moving space for character with a large sprite width.

is there any way around this? to place a sprite so that a part of it is outside the window rectangle?

thank you in advance for the assistance.
[[The X Story]]
Discover the hidden truth within-- but be reminded that more often than not, curiosity kills the cat.
lurking here as a representative of the team~

Unin
Regular

Re: need help with Placing sprites.

#2 Post by Unin »

well, xalign and yalign can take numbers greater than 1 or less then zero (negative), but the results are non-intuitive.
I would suggest using xpos and ypos. That way you can directly specify the position to the nearest pixel. If you have a good image editor like photoshop, you can set your dimensions to those of your game, stage your sprites where you want them and then work directly with their pixel position from the info window.

mirelle
Regular
Projects: The Story of X
Organization: Vocamania

Re: need help with Placing sprites.

#3 Post by mirelle »

That really helped~! thanks a whole bunch.
[[The X Story]]
Discover the hidden truth within-- but be reminded that more often than not, curiosity kills the cat.
lurking here as a representative of the team~