Editor opens completely blank

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.

Editor opens completely blank

#1 Post by Guest »

Downloaded Ren'Py yesterday. Until now, I had not thought that I would wish to try my hand at creating a visual novel, only play them. However, I got ambitious.

I started a new project, and like most Windows 98 users, I had the problem of "When I click 'edit script', nothing happens". I did not have any filetype associations for .rpy, et cetera.

I tried creating an association ('open' as the action, selected scite as the program) then tried opening the script of my project. SCiTE opened, but blank. So I tried opening the script of the demo. Again, SCiTE opened, but the text field was entirely blank.

What do I do? (Also, with what programs do I need to associate all the other unfamiliar filetypes such as .py, .rpyb, .rpyc?)

L33tsaber

#2 Post by L33tsaber »

(The above post is mine. I forgot to log in.)
"Yes sir, Captain Tightpants!" -Kaylee, Firefly

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

The only one you would need to associate is .rpy files. I don't know offhand why it isn't working on Windows 98... I need to get a copy and try Ren'Py out.

While ensuring that Ren'Py games work on 98 is important, I'm less inclined to focus on tools like the launcher and SciTE. I didn't write SciTE, which makes it harder to support... and frankly, both MS and Mozilla are dropping support for 98, which makes it hard to justify spending the time.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

L33tsaber

#4 Post by L33tsaber »

Ah. Well, thanks anyway... (I hate running this dinosaur, but until I build my own box for CompTech class next year, and subsequently for college, it's all I've got.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

I would suggest trying to open the script in windows notepad. You'd be missing many of the nice features of SciTE, but it will still work. (Although probably unicode won't be supported.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

L33tsaber

#6 Post by L33tsaber »

I did some more fidgeting around, and now everything works. I've even managed to get a decent start on putting in the dialogue.

(Hehe... now if only I could remember just what I did...)