Quests menu?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vict0r1994

Quests menu?

#1 Post by Vict0r1994 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 pm

Okay, I'm new to ren'py and I'm working on my first visual novel. I was always a fan of virtual RPGs as well, not only visual novels, and, as I work on an adventure game and I managed to add a trading system (with buy and sell functions) and an inventory button with a vbox with objects and current money, I thought that a Quests button might be suited and useful as well. The problem is that I don't know how tow update text written in a vbox, as vboxes and frames are defined within screens, not during gameplay, and I would like my questlist to update its information (to delete completed quests, add new ones or to change the description/information of active quests according to what happened in game). Is it possible to do what I want? Also, regardless of the answer to the first question, could I add pictures in a vbox somehow? I would like the inventory to have a small image of the mentioned objects to the left of the text, but, then again, I didn't find how to do something like this in the FAQ lists or in other topics, and I don't know if it's possible! I'd appreciate any help.

apricotorange
Veteran

Re: Quests menu?

#2 Post by apricotorange » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 am

To display images etc. in screens, use "add" (http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html#add).

Very simple quest list code (just a skeleton, but it should point you in the right direction):

Code: Select all

define questlist = []

screen quests:
  vbox:
    for i in questlist:
      text i

label addquest:
  $ questlist.append("Go find a sword")

Vict0r1994

#3 Post by Vict0r1994 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Why did somebody delete my second post? Nobody answered my question about adding images near text, not above or below... :?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:11 pm

No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Vict0r1994

#5 Post by Vict0r1994 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Yes. Thank you for sending me the link! I didn't notice that it was moved to another topic. :))