Textbox help!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
crimsonnight
Veteran

Textbox help!

#1 Post by crimsonnight »

Hi all, trying to come up with a text box for my project, but I just can't get it to look right (see attached). I'm looking for some advice before we try a second attempt - this is unknown territory for me so all advice is appreciated :)

(don't worry about the text-style, haven't gotten around to changing that yet)
Attachments
screenshot0005.png
screenshot0007.png
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Textbox help!

#2 Post by Alex »

So if you complain about textbox been too small, you could set its minimal height - in "options.rpy" find

Code: Select all

## This is the minimum height of the window, including the margins
    ## and padding.

style.window.yminimum = 250

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#3 Post by OokamiKasumi »

crimsonnight wrote:Hi all, trying to come up with a text box for my project, but I just can't get it to look right (see attached). I'm looking for some advice before we try a second attempt - this is unknown territory for me so all advice is appreciated :)
Have you taken a look at the Textbox Tutorial in the RenPy Cookbook section of the forum yet?
[Tutorial] Customizing the Textbox
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

RangerDanger
Regular

#4 Post by RangerDanger »

The link in the post above has some extremely helpful info. If you are a bit more specific with what you are having trouble with, we can provide some better advice.

crimsonnight
Veteran

#5 Post by crimsonnight »

cheers guys, yep i used that tutorial - well it just looks out of place in the story, what do you recommend to get something that doesn't look out of place in different scenes? Games like the atelier series manage to do it well, have been looking to the recent ones for inspiration. Changed it a little (attached) but it still looks out of place to me - i've tried different opacities but nothing seems to look right :(
Attachments
screenshot0002.png
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by OokamiKasumi »

crimsonnight wrote:cheers guys, yep i used that tutorial - well it just looks out of place in the story, what do you recommend to get something that doesn't look out of place in different scenes? Games like the atelier series manage to do it well, have been looking to the recent ones for inspiration. Changed it a little (attached) but it still looks out of place to me - I've tried different opacities but nothing seems to look right :(
What do you mean by "out of place" exactly?
-- Too wide?
-- Too short?
-- Too close to the bottom?
-- Too close to the sides?
-- Text looks too small in box?
-- Wrong type of box?

Can you make a mock-up (in PhotoShop or Gimp) to show exactly what you Do want?
-- Also, a game that's 1441px × 1080px (the size of your image) is HUGE. If you have a lot of graphics, you're going to end up with a game with MASSIVE file size and a seriously long download.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

crimsonnight
Veteran

#7 Post by crimsonnight »

That's just it, I'm not sure what would look right, that's what I'm asking for advice on before I ask my artist to develop a new one. I'm going to make it narrower and taller but I still don't think the graphic'll look right...

That image is actually shrunk lol, I'm developing it in iPad 3 res but will create different resolutions for different platforms
alwaysthesamebluesky.com

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by OokamiKasumi »

crimsonnight wrote:That's just it, I'm not sure what would look right, that's what I'm asking for advice on before I ask my artist to develop a new one. I'm going to make it narrower and taller but I still don't think the graphic'll look right...

That image is actually shrunk lol, I'm developing it in iPad 3 res but will create different resolutions for different platforms
Oh, so you're looking for Artistic advice.
-- Your best bet would be to look at other games and check out the styles of textboxes they use, or even the Creative Commons section of the forum. Once you find a style you like, ask your artist to make something similar.