Disappear, oh mouse cursor!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Disappear, oh mouse cursor!

#1 Post by monele »

Something very simple but that, I notice, has annoyed me since day one : the cursor. When watching videos, I like the fact it automatically disappears after a while. And even then, I usually put it in the lower right corner. Since the border or it is black and only 1 pixel shows... you actually don't see it at all.

Ren'Py has a cursor with reverse colors (never understood why) which makes the border white and painfully visible, even when in the lower right corner.
So the question is : as long as the mouse isn't moved, could it end up disappearing after 5 or 10 seconds so people using the keyboard or joystick aren't forced to push it away? Or... could the colors be reversed? ^^;...

(this is a player's plea, not a maker's one btw)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'll think about it, but it probably won't be in 6.2. What you're seeing is the SDL default cursor, which I don't change.

I don't think hiding after 5 seconds would be very easy, as when playing a game, you usually click at least once every 5 seconds.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kakurady

#3 Post by Kakurady »

Well, it makes sense to hide the cursor if you are playing the game with the keyboard or a game controller.
No, I don't like Ren'ai games.
But Ren'Py is not only another Ren'ai game Engine.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

That's what I meant ^^. It's not for mouse players :). Though I understand they're the majority and this is a very small request. Low priority.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Adorya »

What about putting the mouse out "somewhere else" before the video appear and make it move to the center at the end? There are some Vn that automagnet mouse when you have the choice list so why not putting it for exemple in one of the corner of the screen?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Video?... I'm not just talking about cutscenes :)

Kakurady

#7 Post by Kakurady »

For one you'll still see a 1px border.
And the player will have to move the cursor from the corner of the screen.
So a mouse hide function can be a nice treat for joystickers.
Come to think of it, it may be a good idea to throw in custom cursor support as well.

On a side note... does Ren'Py support cursor snapping?
...wait, VNs don't need that.
No, I don't like Ren'ai games.
But Ren'Py is not only another Ren'ai game Engine.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Come to think of it, it may be a good idea to throw in custom cursor support as well.
Already in I think :)

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#9 Post by yummy »

Sorry for thread resurrection, but this one pointed at what I wanted to create.

Any news about this mouse hiding possible feature ?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

I'm considering it, but I don't have a good idea of how it should work. I can't come up with up with a simple rule for when the mouse should be shown and hidden, one that takes into account menus, doesn't require preferences, and doesn't overly burden the game-maker.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Wintermoon »

How about this: the mouse cursor is only visible when the mouse has been moved at least once in the previous 10 seconds. Can anybody think of a situation in which this might not be desirable?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#12 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I just changed Ren'Py so that the mouse is hidden if it isn't moved for 30 seconds. I think 10 seconds is a bit too slow for a slow reader, so I upped it to 30. (I wouldn't like it if the mouse kept popping in and out while I was reading, so I tried to pick a time that's longer then the user would spend on a single screen, without clicking.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by monele »

Yay, sounds good ^__^...

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#14 Post by yummy »

I guess it might be selfish but well... I'm really not good while trying to mess with the UI and styles.
So here I come, with these questions, again and again...
Sorry for being somehow annoying ^^;;

Would it be possible to set a specific time where the mouse cursor wouldn't be shown for a scene ?

Example: An automated scene is being played, like a small movie clip (duration is about 15 seconds at most), and the cursor would somehow spoil the comical atmosphere. (hehe when I'll release my game expect a big laugh)

Would it be possible then to hide the cursor at specific moments (only to set it to hidden by default, then if the player moves the mouse cursor, it'll simply enter the usual 30 seconds process) ?

Example: The splashscreen is being played and the mouse cursor is set to hidden.

And here's the last question: would it be possible to create some kind of transition for mouse "ninja mode" (disappear o mouse~~) ?

So far, the modifications are really getting me excited and I'm coming with new comical situations (thanks PyTom~~)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Disappear, oh mouse cursor!

#15 Post by monele »

I'm resurrecting this again with the same question : I just made a test with a video in the splashscreen label and... having the mouse cursor right in the middle of the video kinda spoils the fun :)