Question, random number, stand alone text editor

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Nichkoi

Question, random number, stand alone text editor

#1 Post by Nichkoi »

Ok, two questions.

The first should be simple. I need the game to generate a random number within the limit of 1 - 150... I used to know how to do this, but i haven't touched programming in 4 or 5 year :oops:

Second, is there a way to install just the Ren'py text editor? I have a laptop with very limited space, and I just want to write the code keeping the same format as my code already done on my desktop, and save it when i'm done. I dont need to run the script or anything else. I know I can use notepad, but again I would like to keep the same formatting.

denzil
Veteran

Re: Question, random number, stand alone text editor

#2 Post by denzil »

Nichkoi wrote:Ok, two questions.

The first should be simple. I need the game to generate a random number within the limit of 1 - 150... I used to know how to do this, but i haven't touched programming in 4 or 5 year :oops:
Here:

Code: Select all

$ number = renpy.random.randint(1, 150)
You can search for "random" on http://renpy.org/ for more information.
Nichkoi wrote:Second, is there a way to install just the Ren'py text editor? I have a laptop with very limited space, and I just want to write the code keeping the same format as my code already done on my desktop, and save it when i'm done. I dont need to run the script or anything else. I know I can use notepad, but again I would like to keep the same formatting.
Yes, there is. In renpy-version\editor\ directory there is scite.exe - this is the editor. Simply copy it wherever you want it. You may also need to copy SciTEGlobal.properties file (from the same place).
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Nichkoi

#3 Post by Nichkoi »

Thanks for the quick answers!