New Features Update --- 2004-08-27

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

New Features Update --- 2004-08-27

#1 Post by PyTom » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:52 pm

You would think that a week filled with deadlines at work would have slowed Ren'Py development. But no, I've gotten quite a bit done since the release.

Well, it comes down to two new features, and the documentation for those features.

The first is basic load and save support. My current developmental version of Ren'Py is now able to save the game, and load it back in again. Right now, there's no interface to select the game, so there's only a single save slot. But the guts are there, and the guts are the hard part.

The second is music support. Ren'Py is now capable of playing mp3s and ogg vorbis files as background music. It may also be able to play mods and midis, but I haven't tested that yet.

If you're interested in the new features, check out the work-in-progress tutorial at its new address:

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/devel/doc/tutorial.html
Last edited by PyTom on Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:21 am

The page doesn't show up. Only an error message.
The new features sounds good, btw. =)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:43 am

Fixed, through the magic of going back in and editing the link in the previous post so that it points to the correct location.

I should also point out that I finally did some tests with MIDI, and it works on Windows and (with a bit of configuration work) Linux.

BTW, if there are features that are missing in Ren'Py that people think are vital for their games, let me know and I'll strongly consider adding them. I'm now working on the user interface code that will allow for a start menu and saving/loading games.

My goal is to set this up so that people can simply change a few variables governing things like background images, colors, and the like, and have an attractive interface.

Tyler
Regular

#4 Post by Tyler » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:55 am

Keep them updates comming PyTom! Your doing good :)