Examples of advanced scripts?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lucita

Examples of advanced scripts?

#1 Post by lucita »

Hello all,

I am trying to get to know Ren'py. I have experience in other scripting languages so I understand the mechanics of writing code. However I am finding the reference materials on the main site to be a bit incomplete.

My question is, is there a good example of an advanced VN that makes use of Ren'py and Python's full abilities whose script I could just look at? I learn much faster studying the work of others than clicking between reference pages.

Thanks in advance,
lucita

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Examples of advanced scripts?

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

I'd say your question is probably best put in a forum where Ren'Py itself is discussed.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

lucita wrote:My question is, is there a good example of an advanced VN that makes use of Ren'py and Python's full abilities whose script I could just look at? I learn much faster studying the work of others than clicking between reference pages.
UNCLE MUGEN here! Welcome to the forums and uh... I know that feel... :(

Now about your question... the answers are... No, Nope, Not gonna happen... Not now, not anytime soon and probably never ever...

The thing is... most of the people who made magical scripts in Ren'py will most likely not gonna share it for reasons I'd rather not write here... yes, looking at scripts directly and see them in action is the best and fastest way to learn and pick up Ren'py... that's how I did it anyway...

Anyway, I'll do my part and provide unnarchived copies of my games if people request them. They may not be as advanced or magical as some people's scripts but I sure have one or two tricks in there that people will probably make use of as reference to create an even better OELVN... :)

"POOF" (Disappears)

CaseyLoufek
Regular
Projects: Bliss Stage, Orbital Knights

#4 Post by CaseyLoufek »

The Cookbook section here contains pretty advanced code in some cases. I'd start there.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#5 Post by saguaro »

Christine released the source code for Analogue: A Hate Story. Nyaatrap releases open demos with code. They posted some cool stuff in the Cookbook forum but I think the AAA demo is in the adult games forum.

lucita

#6 Post by lucita »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've already assimilated pretty much everything in the cookbook and played around with implement the DSE framework. That's why I ask, I feel like there is a gap between where the cookbook leaves off and some of the other really impressive stuff I've seen begins.

Thanks so much Mugen. Anything you could point me towards would help. And while I understand people's reticence to throw their ace cards out for everyone to use... This isn't the Farcry engine we're talking about. It's a Ren'py. When I was working with the Aurora toolset, people shared stuff all the time just to improve the standard of quality across the board. I guess it's different when you're looking to actually make money and you want to stand out, but still.

Saguaro, I will take a look at that link. Thank you.

CaseyLoufek
Regular
Projects: Bliss Stage, Orbital Knights

#7 Post by CaseyLoufek »

A lot of really specific tricks are, well, really specific. Trying to explain how to bring them in to another game is more trouble than it's worth and you don't really want people totally cloning you even if you aren't making money. I think there is a pretty good amount of sharing, often it seems like there isn't a huge interest in more advanced scripts.

If you can handle Cookbook stuff then you can probably start making your own things. Remember you can use pure Python so any Python tutorials you find are valid. Just figure out how to implement them into the graphics and such of Ren'py.

anticulturist

#8 Post by anticulturist »

@lucita: can you be more specific, what kind of advanced code examples are you looking for and you could not find?