A very simple question about animated characters

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Hokhok

A very simple question about animated characters

#1 Post by Hokhok »

Hi! I'm kinda new in the use of this program. First, i wanna congratulate the creator, i never thought that could exist a program like this, i'm so glad yo find this.

Now the question. I'ts shameful to ask something too simple for you guys, but i'm so excited and i can¿t find the answer in the tutorial. How (or where) i can make the images of the characters that i'm going to use in the game? i'm wanna give them an anime looking type, but i don't kno where or how.

thank you for answering me

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#2 Post by Enerccio »

Well, you can draw something...
Or you can download something if you find it.
You can use Alice too.
Or if you have Renai Maker 2, you can get images from it...
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#3 Post by Hime »

I would recommend having game-specific graphics, which would mean that you have to
a) make them yourself
b) hire an artist.
In the case a, if you don't want to pay for some commercial program such as Photoshop (which is probably the best one, at least according to my experiences <3), you can download Paint.NET, for example. If you are a beginner, I would recommend that you ask critique and tips from other people. However, there are a lot of tutorials floating around the Internet. Myself I'm not a friend of them... ^^;
In case b, this forum has a lot of good artists who would probably like to work with you. :) If you post a thread about your project in the "Works in Progress & Recruitment" and say that you are in need of an artist, I bet someone will volunteer. ^^

c.s.marshall

#4 Post by c.s.marshall »

Not everybody's cup of tea are completely rendered characters. There's enough software out there: some however cost a packet (US$ 188) but it's still cheaper than buying something like Photoshop and having to learn how to draw ;-)

One can set up a character and set his expressions, then let the software render the whole set of character expressions ... or animate the chars, make AVI clips, etc ..

Here's Eileen with A3 in 'Toon style'. Sorry the lighting is wrong, I just dragged her over into the pic. A3 btw is not intended to be a 'real' Anime character even though her eyes are quite large, that would be more something for Maya AnimeDoll):

Thumb:
Full:
http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/00renpy/ex1.jpg

Or a character made up from freebies, here a near photo-realistic char of mine based on MayaDoll:

Thumb:
Full (800*600, downsized from 1280*1024):
http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/00renpy/ex2.jpg
---
Chris

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

c.s.marshall >>> What software did you use to make those pictures? They came out quite well, IMO.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Agreed, I'm not a 3D person, but those are pretty nice renders.

c.s.marshall

#7 Post by c.s.marshall »

Those were made with eFrontier's Poser 7.

Top figure with Eileen is the DAZ Aiko-3 character dressed in the 'AP_Outfit' by Al3d & Peti1958, the hair set is 'Moko_Hair' by Yamamoto. Those are all pay-packs, you need to buy them online.

Bottom figure is the free MayaX MayaDoll with the free Maya 'Anime_Flip' hair set and a modified 'BioGoth_Angels' set initially by Loredana. The BioGoth setting is also a freebie but looks pretty sad as unmodified and untextured set, so I adapted it a little as was granted by the license.

If somebody has questions regarding Poser, it's requirements or tools and possibilities ... don't hesitate to ask.
---
Chris

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#8 Post by Scout »

Wow, those DO look really nice. I think I may look into that.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

Looking good indeed. Actually, if 3D wasn't so hard to make (I do think there are more 2D than 3D -good- amateurs in our community so far), I wouldn't mind seeing some of it used for games. If it looks good enough, there's the huge added bonus of being able to simply pose and render... which should allow games with as many poses/expressions as commercial games.

Hokhok

Ahhh ok, but still have a question

#10 Post by Hokhok »

Thank you for the answers guys. I'm impressed with the pro looking of the 3D images. I understand the main idea of looking for an image of a character , but still i have 2 questions

1) where do i get images of anime like characters? a gallery or something i can use on Ren'py? (i looked for in the net, but i can't find anything i imagened)

2) what program have i to use to change the facial expression of the anime like photos? for example, sadness, hapiness, doubt, etc

Thank you for the anwers guys

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Ahhh ok, but still have a question

#11 Post by DaFool »

1) where do i get images of anime like characters? a gallery or something i can use on Ren'py? (i looked for in the net, but i can't find anything i imagened)
http://www.bladeengine.com/addons/BG_Char.php

to hell with proprietry
2) what program have i to use to change the facial expression of the anime like photos? for example, sadness, hapiness, doubt, etc

Thank you for the anwers guys
You use any image or photo editor that lets you draw. Although, many original drawings are specifically stated NOT to be modified by the artist.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by monele »

Something's not clear to me : what are you looking for exactly? Ready-made pictures? Or a way to make your own?

Ready-made pictures are usually *not* free to use (except the ones pointed out in the post above by DaFool). And if you want to make your own, you'll have to draw them... or have someone else draw them.

Hokhok

thanxs

#13 Post by Hokhok »

thanks to all of you guys, you help me a lot to resolve my questions so quickly. I was looking for ready-made pictures, but, just like you say, i must pay for them. Bad luck, i have so few cash right now...

maybe i will make an effort haha...

thanxs again!!