I'm having problems because I just don't understand... help?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Updown1234
Projects: Misericore
Tumblr: ongkomelissa
Deviantart: ongkomelissa

I'm having problems because I just don't understand... help?

#1 Post by Updown1234 »

The tutorial says that you can put the pics you are going to use under the game directory, and that it is accessible through the launcher... problem is... I can't find this elusive "game directory" I guess I'm the type of person who needs every step spelled out to them like... "open the jar before use."
so can someone spell it out, step by step, how to input the pictures you want to use in the game?

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: I'm having problems because I just don't understand... h

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Well when you start a project on Ren'py a new folder for your project is added to your Ren'Py folder. So open your Ren'Py folder and then look for a folder that has whatever name you used for your game. Open that folder and you will see even more folders. One of the folders should be titled "game". That is the game directory. If you want to be as basic as possible you just stick whatever stuff you want in your game into that game folder.

Or you can open the Ren'Py folder click on the Ren'Py application to run Ren'Py and then look for "Open Directory". Under that should be the word "game". Click on that and it will open up the game folder for you.

Then once you've got your stiff in that folder you can define it in the script of your game so that it shows when you use it during the game. Like this for example:

Code: Select all

image bgsample = "MC House.png"
Although some things like sound effects and music don't need to be defined before you use it.

Also welcome to the forum :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Updown1234

#3 Post by Updown1234 »

thanks! but here is another problem... I put in the picture, but when I try to insert it into the game, no matter what I try, it just says picture no found...

Updown1234

#4 Post by Updown1234 »

and even if I put the picture in the correct folder, it still says picture not found...
no matter what picture I use, the only one that worked was the one that I took from the tutorial...

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#5 Post by Kato »

Are you sure you declared it with the correct file extension? Alternatively if you paste your coding here in code tags we can let you know for sure what the issue is.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

Ren'Py-related questions go into the Ren'Py forum.

Moved.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

tigersmurf
Regular
Projects: From Innocence

#7 Post by tigersmurf »

thanks! but here is another problem... I put in the picture, but when I try to insert it into the game, no matter what I try, it just says picture no found...
You need to be very precise in Ren'Py. Make certain that when you defined your image you included the correct file extension and didn't make a typo in any way.

Here's an example from my own project:

image bg medbay hall = "bg/medbay_hall.png"
I have a file in a folder in my game directory that is called "bg" This indicates to me that all of my game backgrounds are in this folder.

So when I want a scene to take place in the hallway of the medical bay, I type:

scene bg medbay hall with dissolve
It's not necessary to use separate folders within your game directory, but I find it extremely helpful for organization's sake. Especially with anything other than a small project.

Pay close attention to ensure that you've not made any mistake in typing. For instance, if I were to accidentally write:

scene medbay hall with dissolve
My game would crash, because I have not defined an image as "medbay hall." I need to remember that I defined it as "bg medbay hall" and only that exact phrasing will work.