Ren'Py flashback effect? SOLVED.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

Ren'Py flashback effect? SOLVED.

#1 Post by Talann »

Hi guys, I am currently working on my project Shooting Stars, and I was wondering if it is possible for Ren'Py to have a flashback kind of effect? I'm not sure if it is possible or if it is just me who doesn't know the code. But, yeah that is my only question for now. Thank you for reading this!
Last edited by Talann on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: Ren'Py flashback effect?

#2 Post by xavimat »

What do you mean with "flashback effect"?
Renpy supports a lot of animation effects, like zoom, movement, rotation and transparency, but not 3d effects. You can convey the "flashback" idea with a lot of different visual effects.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

#3 Post by Ryue »

Talann wrote:Hi guys, I am currently working on my project Shooting Stars, and I was wondering if it is possible for Ren'Py to have a flashback kind of effect? I'm not sure if it is possible or if it is just me who doesn't know the code. But, yeah that is my only question for now. Thank you for reading this!
Do you mean such a coloration,... as if it is a dream/flashback sequence in a film?

Elmiwisa
Veteran

#4 Post by Elmiwisa »

I agree with the above poster, there are just a lot of way to show flashback effect, and it all depends on what exactly do you want.
Typical way:
-Literally a flash: dissolve into a solid white scene, then dissolve to the new scene.
-Pixellate: pixellate directly to the new scene.
-Wipe: wipe to a black scene, then wipe in the same direction to a new scene. The direction probably should be left, since in America the past is associated with the left.
-Zoom: depend on whether you associate the past with in front or behind, use the zoom effect appropriately.
-Swirly: swirly effect as if you are standing in a time portal. You would probably need to create your own bitmap for it to use with ImageDissolve.
-Tint: alter the colour of the scene to make it look like the past. You would need MatrixColor for the job. Though if you want to tint it sepia or greyscale (typical for the past) there are simpler way. Tinting it pink or purple is less common, though I think due to their dream-like nature it could be used to show that the flashback is actually unreliable.

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#5 Post by Talann »

@xavimat - I guess what I meant was something like changing the colour for a scene to sepia/greyscale.

@Wolf - Yep, that's what I meant. Sorry for the bad explanation...

@Elmiwisa - Thank you so much, your post helped me with what I need, and gave me great tips/ideas. Thanks a lot !