How to auto-advance text?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jhernandezgames
Regular
Organization: JHernandezgames

How to auto-advance text?

#1 Post by jhernandezgames »

Hello, for my V.N I am trying to auto-advance the dialogue (Showing letter by letter until the end of the sentence.)
The built in tutorial briefly touches on this but doesn't offer any real help. Can anyone help?
By the way, I want all of the dialogue to auto-advance, not just a sentence.
Thank you so much.

Elmiwisa
Veteran

Re: How to auto-advance text?

#2 Post by Elmiwisa »

Asking about "auto-advance" make it sounds like you want "auto-forward" (the game automatically get to the next line after some waiting), but then your wording suggest that you are asking for cps (character per second) rather than auto-forward. I guess both question can be answered.
These 3 links should be useful:
Preferences
Configuration Variables
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_ac ... references
For characters per second: look for _preferences.text_cps. Also related are config.default_text_cps and Preferences("text speed").
For auto-forward (the acronym "afm" stand for "auto-forward mode"): look for _preferences.afm_time. Also related are config.default_afm_time, config.default_afm_enable, and Preferences("auto-forward time").

jhernandezgames
Regular
Organization: JHernandezgames

Re: How to auto-advance text?

#3 Post by jhernandezgames »

I'm sorry, I didn't know how to phrase what I was asking for, but this solved my dilemma.
Thank you so much for your help. :)