Weird Ren'Py bug...anyone got it before? {Solved}

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Elmiwisa
Veteran

Weird Ren'Py bug...anyone got it before? {Solved}

#1 Post by Elmiwisa »

Simply put...when I click on Launch Project, very frequently 2 or 3 copies of the game will launch. Just start to happen recently, for no reasons. And it is too frequent for it to be the case of me accidentally clicking multiple time. :o
I am not even sure what cause it. It start to happen after that one time where the launcher screen suddenly teleport everywhere on my screen for a few seconds, so that might be a clue or not. :?
As far as I know, this happens randomly. Haven't cause me any problems except for annoyance. Anyone got it before and know how to fix it? Thanks. :D
Last edited by Elmiwisa on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elmiwisa
Veteran

Re: Weird Ren'Py bug...anyone got it before?

#2 Post by Elmiwisa »

I still got this problem, can anyone help?
If it comes down to it, I probably would have to reinstall Ren'Py to see if it fix it. Would doing that affect my project?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Alex »

Would doing that affect my project?
This shouldn't affect your project. Anyway, you just can delete rpyc-files, and Ren'Py will make them again when you'll launch the project.

Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#4 Post by Graph »

Sorry to say I don't have a clue on the actual issue, but reinstalling should go smoothly so long as you know which files you have to copy over. For me that's:

*.rpy
images except the ones in the 'cache' folder
music and sounds
fonts
icon.ico and the README if you have them

I think everything else necessary gets made at compiletime. It's not a bad idea to use some kind of version control program to select which files you want to keep. I use TortoiseSVN myself, though I'd guess Git may be better for larger programming groups.

At least this way we can confirm whether the sdk itself is working as it should be. Good luck!

Elmiwisa
Veteran

#5 Post by Elmiwisa »

I finally found the confident to redownload it, making sure I made backup of the old version and all the projects. Unfortunately it does not fix the problem, so now I am not sure where it comes from anymore, but it is not Ren'Py. :( But thanks anyway for the tips on how to reinstall Ren'Py safely. :)
Guess I would mark this as solved, though it is more like the problem is never Ren'Py's to begin with.