Question about music fadeout...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kizor

Question about music fadeout...

#1 Post by kizor »

I've lurked for a while but this is my first post, so...um hi :D

I've read the tutorials but I'm not sure what I can do about this problem.

Basically the scene is in a club, music plays in the background. There is a conversation between 3 characters and then a choice pops up.

The choice indicates whether the player gets the good/bad ending.

Everything is fine and the game is more or less complete but for this one area.

Just before the question pops up, or just after the question pops up I want the music to fade out. The problem is I can't seem to find a command that does what I require.

Stop - music ends too suddenly, feels abrupt

Fadeout - If I put the command at the end it starts the song again and then fades out. This sounds silly because it's an actual song with lyrics, not background music. So it plays the start of the song twice, not what I want.

Fadeout start - If I put the fadeout at the start I can't really guess when the player will have read all the text, so the song could end too late or too early.

Is there a command I can use that would just fadeout from whenever the player gets to a certain line of the text?

If not is there a way to just play the song once? Then silence? I don't want the song to repeat. I guess I could put a fade out to end when the song ends, that would be effort, lol is there an easier command, like play once or something?

Thanks

chisa-chan
Regular

Re: Question about music fadeout...

#2 Post by chisa-chan »

Try this:

Code: Select all

$ renpy.music.stop(fadeout=1.5)
before the menu, I guess?

If you want to play music once:

Code: Select all

$ renpy.music.play("example.ogg", channel=7, loop=False)
I'd prefer this way than the play statement

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :)
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Yup, like what chisa-chan said.

By the way I tried to put fadein and loop parameters in play music, but they do not work. They work in renpy.music.play though.

Welcome, I am looking forward to your game.

#4 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help. I used...

$ renpy.music.stop(fadeout=1.5)

It worked perfectly.

As for my game it won't be released to the site, it's using images from animes, music from bands and pictures of places. It's even got a picture of a guy sat in his dorm room, I have no idea who he is but he works well for the scene, I named him Tim :)

It's just a personal game for my friend, she doesn't use RenPy so hopefully it will look even more impressive when it's done, it's pretty much 95% complete anyway and it's not a long game by any means.

I would probably do another game in the future but I'd like to include some original artwork and a darker story, this one is quite comical, with lots of in-jokes.

Thanks again for the help.

kizor

#5 Post by kizor »

Sorry, that was me by the way, didn't know you could post messages as a guest, thought I was auto logged in. Never mind. :oops:

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

How do you fade the music temporarily?

Basically I have a scene where the character goes out of a place and closes the door behind her. I want the music to be muffled indicating that she is sonically insulated.

The thing is, the music can be any piece out of an ongoing loop. So creating a muffled music track is not an option.

I want the music sound level to drop down a few notches, then when she goes back out again, I want the music sound level to be restored.

How does one do this? Thanks!

Criptych
Regular
Projects: ALICE.NET

#7 Post by Criptych »

How about renpy.music.set_volume? Though I don't know how you'd do a fade with that. :(

EDIT: Maybe you could fudge it with a few stepped volume changes separated by a short delay?
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. —Pablo Picasso