Release build with Text Speed

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zodai

Release build with Text Speed

#1 Post by Zodai »

Hello, Zodai here.

I've recently figured out how to edit text speed as opposed to it being instant. As a result of outstanding variables, I have a large base of alpha-testers. It seems that there is a bug where, despite the game working fine from my point - the text appears instantly when sent out; resulting in a really, really bad experience when mixed with the pauses put in for the sake of text speed and punctuations.

I'm waiting for confirmation on if new testers encounter the issue, as I feel it may have something to do with persistent data (Since I had to delete that in the Developer in order to get it to work, but I'm not sure how to do that for releases). But until then, I'm working under the assumption that it has to do with persistent data.

If you have any info, details would be appreciated!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Release build with Text Speed

#2 Post by SundownKid »

In options there's a place where you have to set default text speed. Changing the slider on your end just changes it for you.

Zodai

#3 Post by Zodai »

SundownKid wrote:In options there's a place where you have to set default text speed. Changing the slider on your end just changes it for you.
Is there any way to fix it by default?

I wouldn't want to hassle the players...

Zodai

#4 Post by Zodai »

UPDATE

It seems changing the text speed from their end removes the pauses entirely. As a result, changing text speed from the player's end is not a solution.

Zodai

#5 Post by Zodai »

UPDATE

New players get the character-by-character type, as normal. So it does indeed have something to do with the persistent data.

Zodai

#6 Post by Zodai »

SundownKid wrote:In options there's a place where you have to set default text speed. Changing the slider on your end just changes it for you.
It appears I've misread your response.

I've changed the default text speed in the options; that's what the Alpha release was about. People who played it before the Default Text Speed change still get the text instantly.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SundownKid »

You should have them delete their original persistent data, maybe that will have the text speed moving at default for them.

Zodai

#8 Post by Zodai »

SundownKid wrote:You should have them delete their original persistent data, maybe that will have the text speed moving at default for them.
Yeah, I just ended up figuring that out. The difficulty was in figuring out how to do that xD

Is there any way the old persistent data can be deleted with the update?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SundownKid »

Nope, don't think so. It's gotta be manual on their side.