show img at right typeerror: 'int' object not callable

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
chris3spice
Regular
Projects: BKA24

show img at right typeerror: 'int' object not callable

#1 Post by chris3spice »

This is a new error for me to run into, these are the lines of code causing the issue, if I change it to at left instead of right it works perfectly fine...

Code: Select all

scene black
show pb norm at right
with dissolve
This is the error I get

Code: Select all

An exception has occurred.
While running game code:
File "game/intro.rpy", line 48, in script
TypeError: 'int' object is not callable

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\RenPy\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run node.execute()
File "C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\RenPy\renpy\ast.py", line 965, in execute show_imspec(self.imspec, atl=getattr(self, "atl", None))
File "C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\RenPy\renpy\ast.py", line 939, in show_imspec atl=atl)
File "C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\RenPy\renpy\exports.py", line 338, in show img=i(img)
TypeError: 'int' object is not callable

Windows-post2008Server-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.16.1.409
A Ren'Py Game 0.0

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: show img at right typeerror: 'int' object not callable

#2 Post by Donmai »

Looks like a problem with variable naming. For example, IIRC 'norm' is an internal Python function. You should not try to define it as a name in your script.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

chris3spice
Regular

#3 Post by chris3spice »

Donmai wrote:Looks like a problem with variable naming. For example, IIRC 'norm' is an internal Python function. You should not try to define it as a name in your script.
I renamed it to four different things... pb_normal, pb_standard, pb_stand, pb_happy... it works everywhere except when I use the "at right" function

EDIT: I created a entire new VN and it works perfectly fine in there...but for some reason I can not get any image to use the "at right" function in my current game.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

chris3spice wrote:
Donmai wrote:Looks like a problem with variable naming. For example, IIRC 'norm' is an internal Python function. You should not try to define it as a name in your script.
I renamed it to four different things... pb_normal, pb_standard, pb_stand, pb_happy... it works everywhere except when I use the "at right" function

EDIT: I created a entire new VN and it works perfectly fine in there...but for some reason I can not get any image to use the "at right" function in my current game.
Gut feeling: You created some variable named "right" which overrides the default right position. look through your code, particularly in any init blocks.
~Kitsune Zeta

chris3spice
Regular

#5 Post by chris3spice »

Megaman Z wrote:
chris3spice wrote:

Gut feeling: You created some variable named "right" which overrides the default right position. look through your code, particularly in any init blocks.
That was it, I went through my variables and I missed an underscore where I wanted one! Thank You!

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#6 Post by xavimat »

As a reference, the list of reserved names in Ren'Py. Better not to use them as our variable names:
http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/reserved.html
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)