How to make the characters?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Bittersweetmango
Projects: Re-Try

How to make the characters?

#1 Post by Bittersweetmango »

I don't know how to make the characters. Like with different expressions. How am I supposed to do that?

Ispheria
Regular
Projects: TruEndings

Re: How to make the characters?

#2 Post by Ispheria »

Pretty sure what most people do is draw the character digitally, and do everything on a separate layer. as in, anything that's a different color gets it's own layer, that way it's easy to manipulate later. Everything about the face gets it's own layer too, so when you made your first character, you can just replace the things on the face to change the expression. you can ofc then change anything else you want to change too, like changing what the arms are doing and stuff. save each expression as png with a transparent background. umm...that's about it...

edit: Sorry if this totally not what you were asking about lol

Bittersweetmango
Projects: Re-Try

Re: How to make the characters?

#3 Post by Bittersweetmango »

Thank you! Thank you! thank you! I am soooooooos stupid to not realize it sooner!